Swollen eyes and missing feathers. What is going on?

missy3681

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2018
46E0A789-AF8E-413B-B002-F10702691E26.jpeg 1AAF2A51-8441-416B-9352-64ACA89AA4DD.jpeg These are someone else’s bird that are trying to get advice on what to do:
These birds were in a coop with another chicken that was aggressive and pulling feathers. They were in the coop for multiple years. They are now in a different environment and home. How do you help them to grow feathers and why are their eyes swollen? They act fine and in good health other than their appearance.

View attachment 1862380 View attachment 1862383 These are someone else’s bird that are trying to get advice on what to do:
These birds were in a coop with another chicken that was aggressive and pulling feathers. They were in the coop for multiple years. They are now in a different environment and home. How do you help them to grow feathers and why are their eyes swollen? They act fine and in good health other than their appearance.

Feathers will regrow likely during molt if not before, I see some pin feathers coming in.
As for the swollen eyes - they were cooped up all the time? Could be from ammonia if the coop was not well ventilated or from respiratory disease - hard to know unless you see other symptoms.

Feathers will regrow likely during molt if not before, I see some pin feathers coming in.
As for the swollen eyes - they were cooped up all the time? Could be from ammonia if the coop was not well ventilated or from respiratory disease - hard to know unless you see other symptoms.

They were in a small coop that has the built in run. Not sure anything else. No other health issues though.

Get them on a good balanced chicken feed, a flock raiser type with a protein content of 18 -20% (make sure oyster shell is available to them for those that are laying), and give them some time. When they finish molt they will look much better. Hopefully the eyes will also resolve with time, but I would watch them for any other signs of respiratory problems. Having some idea of approximately how old they are can help sometimes in figuring things out.

Back
Top Bottom