Swollen Eyes Help Needed PLEASE (Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cterbizan, Jul 11, 2010.

1. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    So I just hatched out 3 GLWs they are about a week old now. Well here they are
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have read on here that I could put neosporin on their eyes and wash it with saline eye drops. We do not have a vet locally. So I was wondering if I would be able to put the neosporin pain and relief or if there is something in it that can harm them? Any ideas would be helpful thank you.
    ETA: there is nothing else wrong with them they eat, drink, no coughing, no wheezing, nothing else. ingredients for the neo. pain and relief is
    bacitracin 500 units
    neomycin 3.5 mg
    polymyxin B 10,000 units
    pramoxine HCI 10 mg

and white petrolatum

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Oh heavens. I have no idea about that, but I'm hoping someone has some advice for you. Poor little peepers. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG] i have never seen such a thing... that is WAY worse than i was expecting.

at least they don't seem to be in any obvious discomfort... i really hope you get some answers to this problem.

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
  5. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    there is no gurgling and they have already been treated with Tylan 50 did not do anything.

6. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Send your photos and post as an email to your State Vet:

Name: Dr. C. Carter Black
    Title: State Veterinarian
    Agency: Animal Industry Division
    Department: Georgia Department of Agriculture
    Office Address: 19 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr., SW
    Atlanta, GA 30334-4201
    Office Telephone No: (404) 656-3671
    Fax No: (404) 657-1357
    E-mail : [email protected]

I won't hazard a guess except to say that most of the diseases that cause extreme facial swelling like that are highly contagious, kill through secondary infection, and have serious implications for other birds you may have or plan to acquire in future. You really NEED a professional diagnosis.

7. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    I am dealing with something very similar in one of my 6 week old chicks. Only one eye swelled shut. Did it a couple months ago with an older hen too. I got great advice on here from a eye doctor. I put triple antibiotic ointment RIGHT IN the eye. It was swelled shut and crusty, so the first application was really messy. I put it on the outside and let it soften the crust. Let it sit for a coupla minutes and then wiped gently with a warm, wet washcloth (which I threw away when done). The eye popped open and discharged the grossest stuff you have ever seen. I bet the chick was SO happy to have it out. I put more ointment in and arouond the eye. Today is day three and the eye is just barely watery. she is doing good. I put the triple antibiotic in every 3-4 hours as best I can. Should only be needed through Tuesday before she is all healed up, about 5 days total. Best of luck to you. Also, you can buy powdered tetracycline at TSC and mix it with their water to help from an internal perspective as well. I like healthy chickens, so I did both for my girl. No one else in my flock of 50 has any sign of any problem.

Good Luck!

Rob

8. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Hi,
    I just found your thread! rub their eyes with coconut oil and feed them yogurt, and coconut oil along with their normal food. what does their poo look like? my hen did this for a week and she was fine afterwards and could see! after we got her eyes open she had a membrane that came off really easy and then she could see.

Check whats in your area Fluoride poisoning could do this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by