Swollen eyes/Respiratory illness?

Spotted_Owl

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
California
Hi, I'm completely new to chickens. My kids wanted to raise chickens to show at the fair for 4-H, so we went to a poultry show and bought 4 bantams: 2 Wyandottes, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 1 Phoenix. We didn't have a coop yet, so we housed them in a large cage, with pine shavings, in the kitchen. (Didn't know what a mess that would be!) We have a lot of raccoons in our area so I didn't want to put the cage outside unprotected.

About 4-5 days later, the Phoenix had one eye swollen shut. We separated her, and brought her to our 4-H poultry leader. She got the eye open with a wet paper towel and removed a firm yellow chunk of something that smelled infected. We cleaned the eye and put some Neosporin in it. She then commented that it sounded like the hen had a breathing problem, she made sort of a congested bubbling sound -- I thought it sounded a bit like a loud purring noise, but apparently chickens don't purr... She told us to keep her separated and see what happens. Two days later, the eye was completely better and she seemed healthier, although still made the strange sound. About a week later, she was laying eggs and seemed eager to get out of her little cage and move around, so we put her back in with the others.

About 5 days later, one of the Wyandottes had a swollen eye and was sounding congested. We immediately removed her and put her into the isolation cage (the others were in a small coop outside by this point) but I didn't think to change the shavings out completely. I bathed the eye and put Neosporin in it, like I did the last time, put Vet RX on her beak and ACV in her water. (Read that on this forum.) Several days later now, her eyes are both still wanting to close, she sleeps a lot, and now isn't eating much. Her eyes seem a bit watery too, and sometimes she breathes with her beak open. I've been reading a lot, and now I'm scared that it's something bad... and that they're all at risk or too late to help. Is there ever a chicken disease that isn't terrible news? I got some Sulmet and put it in her water, I'll do the same for the rest in the morning.

I'd love some input, as I really don't know anything about chickens. I really thought that it was going to be a nice little easy project for the kids, but so far it's not working out like I'd hoped. Thanks for any advice.

50324_dsc04015.jpg

50324_dsc04013.jpg

It sounds like Corzya, a respiratory infection that is often contagious. With Coryza there is often yellow gu, wheezing and a bad smell about the face. Tylan 50 injectable is often helpful or LA200. 1/2 cc into the breast muscle or you can try drip in the mouth for 3 days. As you have noticed it can spread. remove sick birds to one location and handle them last, making sure to change cloths and wash up before handling healthy birds. Disinfect coop and area with bleach, I use pool bleach. It can be a carrier illness. Treat all sick birds, then you can order a Coryza vaccine. Vaccinate all birds on property and any others for at least year. Any birds showing signs after 2nd dose of vaccine are carriers and most likely will keep spreading the illness and would need to be separated and treated when illness arises if you do not cull. best Wishes for your girl.

Okay, do I give all of them Tylan? I'm going to try to do it in the mouth, I don't think I can do an injection. Would it just be one dose per day? And where can I order a vaccine? Thanks for the help.

Quote:
You got pretty good advice, but since you asked about where to get the vaccine... if your local co-op or feed store doesn't have it (mine don't) then my favorite nice poultry people are found at firststatevetsupply.com

Good luck! I would also advise you to go ahead and stock up on all sorts of vaccines... focus on infectious bronchitis, since that is another respitory one... HIGHLY contagious and you can get it on your cloths at the feed store and bring it home!!!! Scarey.

I also like to vaccinate for fowl pox too since it is just so slow moving and really hurts your egg production. (not to mention the looks of your bird... they get scars) The more sevier "wet" pox will kill a bird. Dry pox is more of a annoyance... but like I said, it will hurt egg production and scar up birds combs and waddles.

I add ACV to water to prevent any bugs from spreading from wild birds to my free ranging flock. The wild birds drink from the birds water buckets and can give diseases to your birds. The ACV will kill the germs and help prevent spreading of the disease. If you use untreated water you can also use ultra bleach, 2 ounces of bleach to one gallon of water for stock solution. The stock solution is then added 1 ounce per gallon of drinking water. If you use public water it is most likely already chlorinated. Either ACV or treated water will kill the germs in water and hinder spreading. I would also increase or add vitamins to water or food, it always works for me when I am sick to increase my vitamin intake. You should drop polyvisol on your sick birds beak twice a day, and feed cooked eggs to increase the protein intake.

Coryza would have a really nasty smell - like a dead animal - coming from their mouth. You haven't mentioned a nasty smell, so I don't think it's Coryza. The only way to know for sure is to contact the state vet for your area. My birds had the same symptoms as your birds and I called my local vet who gave me the information for the state vet. They came out for free and took blood samples. In my case, it turned out to be MG (Mycoplasma Galluseptum) aka CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease.)

"The sick chicken does smell bad. I'm not sure that it's "dead-animal" bad, but definitely a bit stinky. I'll look into the state vet idea. I do have a bottle of Tylan 50. Here comes the stupid question. How do I open it? I wanted to try to give it orally.

Quote:
I wouldn't give an injectable medicine orally. Tylan makes a powder that is meant to be given orally, but the injectables are much more effective.

You don't open the bottle, you injecting the needle into the rubber seal and pull the syringe to suck it out 1cc. If you don't feel like to do the injection you can feed orally, I preferably feed orally it makes them painless.

Okay, then how do I do it orally? Do I need a different product? Or am I supposed to drop it from a needle? (Sorry, I'm just completely unfamiliar with this, I don't have any needles/syringes and I've never used one, I was hoping to use a medicine dropper.)

Back
Top Bottom