Swollen face on Silkie Roo for 10 days

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
7205_sick_silkie_roo.jpg

7205_swollen_silkie_roo.jpg

One day he was fine, the next day he was swollen, then it got bigger and bigger. I had him on liquid Baytril for 5 days - no change. I tried using Benadril for 3 days, no change. I have him on 1/2 pill of Amoxicillian now. He is still trying to eat and drink and on his normal side is quite aware and he looks at me etc... His nares are clear, his eye is clear (on good side), no change in breathing. He is aprox 6 months old and was beautiful. I don't know if he got bit by something or what? It does not seem to be a sinus infection etc.. I only get blood when I try to drain it. I made a small incision to see if it would drain, only blood. I am at a loss of how to help him?
idunno.gif

The dark colors on his neck are dried food, I removed some feathers so I could clean him better... Dried white stuff is food dust.....

Last edited:
I believe it is Coryza. It is highly infectious. Here is a summary of the disease and treatment from the Merck Veterinary Manual:

"Infectious coryza is an acute respiratory disease of chickens characterized by nasal discharge, sneezing, and swelling of the face under the eyes. It is distributed worldwide. The disease is seen only in chickens; reports of the disease in quail and pheasants probably describe a similar disease that is caused by a different etiologic agent."

In the mildest form of the disease, the only signs may be depression, a serous nasal discharge, and occasionally slight facial swelling. In the more severe form, there is severe swelling of one or both infraorbital sinuses with edema of the surrounding tissue, which may close one or both eyes. In adult birds, especially males, the edema may extend to the intermandibular space and wattles. The swelling usually abates in 10-14 days; however, if secondary infection occurs, swelling can persist for months. There may be varying degrees of rales depending on the extent of infection. Egg production may be delayed in young pullets and severely reduced in producing hens. Birds may have diarrhea, and feed and water consumption usually is decreased during acute stages of the disease."

Coryza is highly infectious.

"Because early treatment is important, water medication is recommended immediately...Erythromycin and oxytetracycline are usually beneficial. Several new-generation antibiotics (eg, fluoroquinolones, macrolides) are active against infectious coryza...In more severe outbreaks, although treatment may result in improvement, the disease may recur when medication is discontinued.

I would get some Tylan50 and dilute it 1:4 ratio with saline solution. Put one drop in eye morning and night. Then give 1/2 cc daily for 3 days by mouth. Does it have a smell?

I would think it was Coryza it would be in both eyes and mucous would be coming from the snares, and it would smell really bad, from what I have heard. I personally have never smelled it, but they say you can't miss the smell.

It is not Coryza or a respiratory infection.... I have delt with those. This is some bite, or infection that I have not delt with... If it had been a respiratory infection of Coryza, MG etc, Baytril would have done something by now, but thank you for trying to help him...........
sad.png

Last edited:
Is the swelling soft or hard? It has the look of an abscess & the fact that the antibiotics have not helped make me wonder if he has a foreign body lodged somewhere. I know you said it does not appear to drain like an abscess would, but could it be something in his eye itself? I think I would try cool compresses over it to try and bring the swelling down & try to find a vet to look at it. That swelling is killing off tissue and may damage his eyesight if it continues like that. Poor guy, I hope you are able to get it under control. Karen

Quote:
Sorry Chickenzoo, I wrote that wrong.

I meant to say, I think "IF" it were Coryza it would be in both eyes, meaning that I did not think it was. Sometimes, I write before I think
roll.png
I think maybe, it could be that they might have been pecking that eye and they keep pecking and it just gets worse and worse. Or, it could be some kind of insect bite.

I had one that they pecked and it's eye swelled up, and the Tylan worked in about 2 days.

Quote:
Sorry Chickenzoo, I wrote that wrong.

I meant to say, I think "IF" it were Coryza it would be in both eyes, meaning that I did not think it was. Sometimes, I write before I think
roll.png
I think maybe, it could be that they might have been pecking that eye and they keep pecking and it just gets worse and worse. Or, it could be some kind of insect bite.

I had one that they pecked and it's eye swelled up, and the Tylan worked in about 2 days.

You were correct in saying that it would affect one eye if Coryza, many respiratory illnesses do only affect one eye, I will keep you all posted on what progresses. He has lost a bunch of weight, I'm sure from the stress and not really being able to see. I was expecting him to be dead this morning... but he's still with us. Hubby just lost his job a few days ago or this little guy would have been at the vets by now..... I'm hoping it will go down on it's own soon or I will find an answer. I have been putting cold compresses on it when he will let me, and I went ahead and gave him some tylan for good measure.....

Back
Top Bottom