Swollen feet in ISA brown layer

DillyRouen

Chirping
Aug 6, 2018
1. One of our hens have been very inactive, scratches a little then sits down, comb is very pale... she's been inside in our "infirmary" area given rooster booster, egg yolks, and rest. Her feet are super swollen and look painful. We have had her poop tested for worms, she had a "normal parasitic load" and we wormed her anyways. She's also not egg bound. Any idea on what it could be without us taking her to the vet? Also, the zip tie in the picture is loose, not tight.

2. We also have a golden sebright thats very lethargic and basically picks a spot and doesn't move to the point where we can pick her up a pet her, which she never previously allowed. She seems to be eating like normal but sits in a half crouched stance, not eggbound as far as we can tell.

Attachments

• 20211122_165113.jpg
    20211122_165113.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211122_165122.jpg
    20211122_165122.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211122_165132.jpg
    20211122_165132.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 5
Are there any respiratory symptoms? Have there been recently, even if there aren't any chickens at present showing respiratory symptoms?

You say you are sure this hen is not egg bound. Has she been laying recently? Have any of her eggs or any eggs from other hens showed any abnormalities like wrinkles or odd shape?

No respiratory symptoms as far as we can hear, we've treated a duck for it at the beginning off summer but nothing since then. And as far as being sure about egg bound, they are given free choice oyster shell and layer pellets, and there's no abnormalities or lumps around that lower abdomen or cloaca that would indicate backed up eggs, and she's not walking hunched over like I've seen some who are egg bound.. They did all just molt and it's getting into winter here so all egg production has slowed. And no, we honestly haven't had any abnormal eggs or soft shells because we always use a layer and free choice oyster. My first thought was egg bound because of how they're acting, and even the Isa layer hasn't layed in a week or so, but I attributed that to stress from molting and sickness/ winter time.

This is strange. I just posted a reply and it's gone. So I will repeat what I wrote. Maybe the other one will mysteriously appear.

I think you're dealing with mycoplasma synoviae, a respiratory disease that causes fluid to accumulated in the feet. You can use a needle syringe to try to draw some of the fluid out of the tissues to give her some relief, but it is likely to return.

The best antibiotic to treat this is easily mixed into the drinking water for the whole flock as they likely also carry it. https://homelabvet.com/product/tyclosin-500-30g/

I have quite a few oral antibiotics in the fridge in the fowl first aid section, I may even actually have powder tylan. Assuming since you're telling me to treat the whole flock that it's highly contagious?

Oh, yes, it's very contagious. It's also difficult to treat. It's not going to be gone with just a single round of antibiotics, most likely. It's stubborn. You might want to do further research on it. I could be wrong, as it requires a lab test to confirm.

You can get a PCR test to confirm M. synoviae. It's a nasal swab test.
These folks will send you the testing materials and do the test. Zoologix Inc 9811 Owensmouth Ave, STE 4, Chatsworth, CA, 91311-9547 818-717-8880 www.zoologix.com This test is around $100. The test kit is around $20. I've used this lab and they're good.

Back
Top Bottom