Swollen Feet on Hen

20170827_162943.jpg
20170827_162930-1.jpg

My baby girl has been limping for almost a week now...last Sunday I found the 2 tiny spots on her foot. It doesn't seem to bother her when they are messed with, cleaned, or bandaged. I have soaked her feet in Epsom salt for the last 5 days...these places aren't turning black or getting any worse, but the limp continues and the swelling is still in the foot. What may anyone suggest? My daughter hatched this chick at school...she's been born and raised inside, her feet have only touched the grass one time in her 6 months...she lays great eggs and does wonderful, outside of the LP and swollen foot. Please give me some advice. Thanks

Hi @Dumplin* :frow Welcome To BYC

How is she housed inside? Any photos?
What type of food/treats do you feed?

It looks like she has Bumblefoot which is an infection caused by the staphylococcus bacteria which enters the chicken’s system through a cut, scratch, injury or a chafed and irritated area on its foot.

You can try soaking in Tricide Neo to see if there is any improvement. Mix 1/2tablespoon Tricide Neo with 2 quarts of DISTILLED water and soak for 5-7minutes daily. You can use the solution for 5days, then make a new batch. After soaking - dry the feet well, apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn. You can also wrap the foot if you feel like it needs it. Keep her on clean dry bedding.
If you have a vet that can see her, that would be your best option.

Hi @Dumplin* :frow Welcome To BYC

How is she housed inside? Any photos?
What type of food/treats do you feed?

It looks like she has Bumblefoot which is an infection caused by the staphylococcus bacteria which enters the chicken’s system through a cut, scratch, injury or a chafed and irritated area on its foot.

You can try soaking in Tricide Neo to see if there is any improvement. Mix 1/2tablespoon Tricide Neo with 2 quarts of DISTILLED water and soak for 5-7minutes daily. You can use the solution for 5days, then make a new batch. After soaking - dry the feet well, apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn. You can also wrap the foot if you feel like it needs it. Keep her on clean dry bedding.
If you have a vet that can see her, that would be your best option.
Her living space is handmade we have used chicken wire on the sides and top, she has a wooden floor with laminate flooring covering the wood. I clean it twice a day morning/night...where do I purchase tricide? Any and all opinions welcome I am willing to vet our girl, for she's not just a chicken to us!

You will probably have to order the Tricide Neo online - it can sometimes be found where Koi fish are sold.

If you have vet care - that is always best. I've never really seen bumblefoot in a house chicken - it's usually from getting small cuts, splinters, debris in the foot or from jumping down from roosts (a break down of tissue in the foot). Any of these allow bacteria to enter causing infection.

You will probably have to order the Tricide Neo online - it can sometimes be found where Koi fish are sold.

If you have vet care - that is always best. I've never really seen bumblefoot in a house chicken - it's usually from getting small cuts, splinters, debris in the foot or from jumping down from roosts (a break down of tissue in the foot). Any of these allow bacteria to enter causing infection.

This is my girl right now...happy as a lark!! (Lol) some times I think she's a Lil spoiled...yes I will most definitely vet her...she seems to do wonderful when her foot is wrapped...she doesn't seem to act as if it bothers her when I touch to clean and dry it. (Which is a wonderful thing)...the bottom pic is her home when we aren't home and so she isn't always indoors...her food is also in the pic...thanks everyone for the information... I am new at this and she's my daughters world, so we are trying to keep her as healthy as possible.

Attachments

• 20170902_152522.jpg
    20170902_152522.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20170902_153041.jpg
    20170902_153041.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom