Swollen foot, no bumble foot scab

@Katakornchicks
I applied drawing slave and gave her homeopathic calcarea carbonica pellets 2x day. Not sure which of those made the biggest difference or if it truly was the combination but it helped my chicken’s wound come to a head so I could start draining it. Kept her in a dog kennel inside a lot to keep it clean and dry (and bc it was do difficult to catch her twice a day). Once it was draining I put bentonite clay mask/poultice on at night which helped dry it out. The wound then developed into a deep hole (at least it was finally draining…). Took her to vet again at that stage and he swabbed it out, said he got a lot of puss out (I couldn’t have done that on my own and wouldn’t have known to either) then he put Clindamycin antibiotic gel. That strong antibiotic seemed to help a TON and it filled in/closed up quickly. However, I still don’t think we are fully out of the woods yet.
I’d be happy to communicate more. Some friendly people gave me advice along the way. Also been a lot of trial and error. Sorry to hear your hen has an issue, too.

This was a week ago and it doesn’t look quite this good now. But there is hope!
I am glad I never attempted to cut at it myself. Helping it eventually drain on its own would be my advice.
EE260399-FA9F-4367-BEA6-2D0EB5F3B441.jpeg

This actually just happened to two of my chickens! It was hard to notice at first because it was wedged in the crease in between the bump, the pad of the foot, and the toe.
I had my brother hold her while gently squeezed the bump and picked all the poop/dirt out with tweezers. I then irrigated it to make sure I got it all out. I put a gauze pad with triple antibiotic ointment on it then wrapped it with medical tape.
This was about 4 days ago, I’m still rebandaging the feet every 48 hours at least. They look great! The holes are healing and new tissue is growing.

I know I’m a little late to reply to this post but hope your hen is doing well!
Thanks for replying. I have a similar problem on a chicken that was given to me. Is it. Contagious?

Back
Top Bottom