Swollen foot

Chelie97

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
My leghorn chicken has a swollen foot pad. I was thinking it was bumblefoot but she has no hard core or spot on her foot. I know she doesn’t have leg mights. Her foot has been swollen for over a month. I soaked it in episom salt everyday for over a week and kept really clean. Her leg seems to be swelling now also not all the way up but a little up. Any suggestions and the vet is out I have no vet that sees chickens. I have called all over looking and everyone laughs at me when I ask if they see chickens. Oh she is also about 1 and a half years old

Attachments

• DD4336AF-34C5-4B46-89CD-E153D31B3021.jpeg
    DD4336AF-34C5-4B46-89CD-E153D31B3021.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 0B19C917-7CBD-4992-8E29-22318EE40506.jpeg
    0B19C917-7CBD-4992-8E29-22318EE40506.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 19
  • EAD3E888-B969-4FF5-B30C-A0895006A41A.jpeg
    EAD3E888-B969-4FF5-B30C-A0895006A41A.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 18
In your picture I can see that she must have stepped on something like a thorn or similar that got stuck right in the middle of her foot pad. If you look very close, you might even see the tip of it still sticking out a bit.

My leghorn chicken has a swollen foot pad. I was thinking it was bumblefoot but she has no hard core or spot on her foot. I know she doesn’t have leg mights. Her foot has been swollen for over a month. I soaked it in episom salt everyday for over a week and kept really clean. Her leg seems to be swelling now also not all the way up but a little up. Any suggestions and the vet is out I have no vet that sees chickens. I have called all over looking and everyone laughs at me when I ask if they see chickens. Oh she is also about 1 and a half years old
In your picture I can see that she must have stepped on something like a thorn or similar that got stuck right in the middle of her foot pad. If you look very close, you might even see the tip of it still sticking out a bit.
I see it to. That can cause bumble inside the foot to.

Thank you for your replys I did see that in her foot but wasn’t sure if it was anything because I did cut that open before hoping it would fix problem maybe I left something behind

I did read that article before and I have done bumblefoot surgery on other girls in the flock but they clearly had a hard spot on foot to remove. My poor leghorn does not. I opened the spot up that was pointed out in picture and cut it in a circular area and did not find anything that looked like the other bumblefoot I removed in past but I cut away some tissue sprayed with Microcyn ah put antibiotics cream on and wrapped it. If this works how long do you think it will take before I see results. The other bumblefoot I dealt with did not swell like this . Thanks

I did read that article before and I have done bumblefoot surgery on other girls in the flock but they clearly had a hard spot on foot to remove. My poor leghorn does not. I opened the spot up that was pointed out in picture and cut it in a circular area and did not find anything that looked like the other bumblefoot I removed in past but I cut away some tissue sprayed with Microcyn ah put antibiotics cream on and wrapped it. If this works how long do you think it will take before I see results. The other bumblefoot I dealt with did not swell like this . Thanks
Did you ever get her foot problem resolved? I have a similar problem with one of my hens and I’m stumped.

Did you ever get her foot problem resolved? I have a similar problem with one of my hens and I’m stumped.
Actually I did not I cut into her foot and got nothing out of it and it just didn’t want to heal so I kept soaking it for 10 mins everday for about a month and her skin began to come off on bottom of foot and one day when a patch came off it had some hard stinky pus and we got all out and rapped her foot. It seemed to be healing but the swelling never went away it got smaller but never went small again. So after 2 months I just left it alone then in between one part of her toes began to ooze out hard pus so I soaked it cut it out and began again. But ever so often a part will ooze and I will soak and rap it but it has never healed I think its in her bone.
She is happy still laying eggs eating drinking and middle of peeking order so we just treat it when it flares up. I would take her to a vet but there are none in my area that see chickens when I called around about it everyone laughed at me when I asked. Sorry I couldn’t be more help. Her foot is still swollen but not as big as it started out.

Back
Top Bottom