swollen head/face (pics included)*** Urgent Update!!!

So I figured out what was wrong with Elanore...mites! Turns out some chickens we recently added to our little flock had mites! The frusturating thing is that the lady we got them from know about it and didn't tell us :(. So my question is, what is the best way to get rid of them fast?! I have been reading threads on here about mites and people keep talking abot Sevin powder. Is this the best way to go? Or should I use an ivermectin pour on (and at what dose?), or can I use a flea and tick product like frontline? Please help! I really want to fix this problem ASAP and hopefully save Elanore! Thanks in advance!

Oh man! WEll, I'm glad you've found the cause- when my birds have gotten mites from the wild birds, every one gets treated with ivermectin and I change out all the bedding, then put seven dust in their dust bathing holes. I *believe* I use about .5 per bird on the back of their head, but you can double check that by searching this forum. Hang in there, Elanor!

Thanks for the advice! All my other birds are acting fine, so I'm nt sure why it has hit one so hard. The poor thing is just skin and bones and I'm very worried about her. Hopefully this will clear up the problem!

I am sad to report that poor Elanore succumbed to her illness early this morning. I feel like I should have done more for her, but I just did not know what else to do. She was my favorite of all our chickens...always one of the first to greet me and loved to sit on my lap and get treats. She will be missed. :-(

Yea for Elenore!!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks so much for this article, we've a cream legbar, Snowball with these exact symptoms and I couldn't find any help! Of course it's saturday eve etc. Your symptoms and pics are exactly her, thanks. We've isolated her and given her mash etc. all the other chicks are around her run, very sweet. Off to get some yoghurt!!

Really though, thanks so much x

Back
Top Bottom