swollen head/face (pics included)*** Urgent Update!!!

tabithas

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 7, 2012
Denver, Colorado
A few days ago I noticed by 10 week old barred rock chick had a big "lump" (for lack of a better term) on her head. The whole top of her head was swollen. Its not super firm, but not soft either...kind of hard to describe. This evening the tissue around her eyes is swollen too! She has been acting a little off. I have seen her drink and she is pecking at the food...although she feels a little thin to me. She seems a little restless, and cheeps constantly. She is not laying down to sleep with the other chicks (they all sleep in a big pile). She is sleeping standing up with her head tucked under her wing. She also seems to be more fluffed up than normal and I have noticed a lot of feathers on the ground from her. There have been no changes in housing, bedding, etc. The only thing that has changed is a couple weeks ago we switched food...from a medicated chick starter to an unmedicated. What's wrong with my chick?! Please help! I've included a couple pics...I'm sorry for the poor quality. I have a cheap camera, the lighting was horrible and little Elenore did not want to have her picture taken!

Notice the large bump on the top of her head and the swelling under her eye.

Tried to get a little closer view of the facial swelling, but it turned out pretty fuzzy.
Could she be having an allergic reaction to something?

Last edited:
i tried to reply last night but the site went down

could she have been pecked

hens fighting always go for teh face

i have had a few chickens with swollen faces from being pecked

it soon went down after a few days

I suppose anything is possible, but I don't think she has had any trauma or that the other chickens are picking on her. There is no evidence of wounds...just the swelling. Right now I am watching her scratch and peck for food just like normal. Of the four chicks we bought from the local feed store, two have died of sudden, bizarre sickness (different symptoms for each chick), and now this! I don't think I will ever get chicks from that store again! Does anyone know what hydrocephaly is? She does not act like I would think a hydrocephalic animal would act, but I guess I can't rule that out either.

Do you think there is a grub in there? I've seen them taken out of kittens, ew. Pretty good sized worm for such a small animal.

I'm pretty sure its not a grub...Ive seen a few of those in my years as a vet tech. I did get a bit closer look today in better lighting and there are a couple tiny scabs, so she is either scratching herself or someone is picking on her. I am still concerned that the swelling has not gone down and that she feels so light compared to the other chicks of the same age. I know she is eating, just not sure how much. Should I seperate her for a while?

I am happy to report that Elanore's head is much less swollen and looks almost normal again. The chickens were finally moved outside to their coop where they have much more room. I think this alone has helped as they have so much more room. She is still action off. She has spurts of energy, followed by periods of lethargy. She is eating and drinking, but still very thin. She seems to be poofing out her feathers and keeping her head drawn in. Any one else have suggestions as to what I might be able to do to help her feel better and gain weight?

I'm glad the swelling has gone down! Were they on wood chips before, by chance? As far as boosting her system- I'm a big believer in yogurt with active cultures, apple cider vinegar in the water, scrambled or hard boiled eggs and olive oil steeped w/ garlic on the dry food. Is her poop normal looking? The head pulled in and ruffled feathers are definite signs that she's not feeling her best.

Thanks for the advice. How much yogurt do you give them? I've been giving her a mash of oatmeal, hard boiled egg and the chick starter which she loves! How much vinegar do you put in the water? Do you think I should seperate her from the other chickens? I have no idea what her poop looks like as she is with 6 other chicks and on sand, so the poop is hard to see! Sorry about all the questions...I'm a total newbie at chickens. I've been a vet tech for 10+ years...dogs, cats, heck even snakes and turtles I know what to do, but no clue with chickens!

I just went out to check on the chickens and little Elanore is running around acting normal! Not sitting with her head pulled in and feathers ruffled. Even jumped up onto the perch which I haven't seen her do since we put them in the new coop!

Back
Top Bottom