Swollen Head Syndrome? Is it contagious?

Gosh that is some major swelling of his face. Did you see any sting marks in the swollen area when it first showed up? You can develop cellulitis from an insect bite, as I recently found out myself, which can require some heavy antibiotics. The blue tips of the comb doesn't look good. Vets can give you some much better antibiotics (Baytril) than we can get at feed stores, if that is a possibility. If not, then I would get him some Tylan 50, and either give it as a shot into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep, or give it orally--1 ml daily for 3-5 days.

So you think it might be a sting? I can get some stuff from the vet. Do you still think it could be MG? The main reason I'm on the fence is because it doesn't seem to be in his sinus cavity at all.

I would try to get some Baytril from the vet. That would treat either MG or a cellulitis of the face. Baytril is a drug that is banned in chickens so it doesn't cause antibiotic resistance in people who eat the meat, but many vets will prescribe it for chickens that won't be eaten. You can get it online, but it would take too long in shipping. There could be another drug that your vet could prescribe, too. As far as it being a sting or MG, I'm not a vet or qualified to judge. It's just odd that it has been around for so long without other symptoms.

Well, yes, I know you can't diagnose over the internet! LOL! I guess I was just wondering if you (or anyone) has ever seen MG present itself like this, with the localized swelling and no other symptoms. I'm trying not to get paranoid about it, but I am finally getting my flock where I want it for the past year and was fixing to apply for my NPIP. My goal is to sell chicks and hatching eggs, and it would probably force me out of chickens if I had to cull them all and start all over. I don't think my heart could take it. I really appreciate your advice and help!!!

Small update....I got some Baytril from mt vet (who didn't even charge me for it, bless him!) I showed him the same pictures on here and he thinks it's just one of those fluke things that happen....maybe caused from a sting or injury or whatever, considering there are no other symptoms. My roo's comb was blue tipped a bit again yesterday but when I picked him up and carried him out of the pen to administer the shot, it colored up again real quick! LOL! I will try to get more pics this afternoon, but I'm hoping for a noticeable difference in the swelling. He was still acting normal before and after the shot, took off squawking after I let him go. LOL!

Sounds like a nice vet. I'm glad you got the medicine, and I hope it clears up the swelling fast. One or two of my roosters with a large straight comb have had some darkened tips especially toward the back their combs on occasion. When it regains color it shouldn't be a problem.

Another update.....

48 hours after administering the Baytril and there are no changes. In fact, I think the swelling has gotten a bit bigger. I'm beginning to wonder if he has a tumor or something. He still acts perfectly normal. I suppose my next step is to contact the state extention office. :(

Gosh, that's too bad. The picture of his swollen face is unusual looking for most of the resp. diseases that I have looked at in pics. Does it feel firm like a cyst or tumor? Some eye swellings candevelop into solid pus inside, but since he hasn't really been symptomatic, I doubt if that is what is in there. I have seen a couple of cases of tumors around the face on here before. Please let us know what you find out, or if you decide to have a necropsy done if he dies.

Well, almost two weeks later and my Dom roo is still going strong. Still has a massive tumor behind his eyeball. But acts like it isn't there. Still perfectly healthy otherwise, and so is everyone else. I guess I could just chalk this up to one of those fluke things afterall. We got a cold snap last night (well, cold for the south) and I am curious to see if maybe the weather affects it any. Will check him again after work tonight. Just updating in case anyone in the future has a similar issue!

Back
Top Bottom