Swollen juicy eye - thoughts?

So I was able to squeeze some stuff out of the eye this morning. It was a dried up chunky pus. I couldn't get all of it out - when I peeled the eye lid forward a bit, I could see where the pus went down into a small pore/duct. I was able to get a good amount out, but definitely not all of it. I rinsed the area thoroughly with saline and lightly applied some original neosporin.

I'm heading out towards our feed store today, so I will see if I can pick up some terramycine eye ointment.

The eye is obviously now irritated and red due to the squeezing and rinsing, but in theory I guess this should help it heal/resolve faster. I couldn't really think of anyway to remove the bits of pus that were lodged in the pore/duct, but hopefully the amount of junk that I removed relieved some pressure and allows the rest to wiggle its way out some more.
Sounds good.
The flushing and ointment daily may help move that pus where you can push the rest out.
Check it tomorrow and see if you can work more out.
Chicken pus is usually chunky or cheese-like that's why it has to be removed, it won't dry up on it's own even with antibiotics.

Sounds good.
The flushing and ointment daily may help move that pus where you can push the rest out.
Check it tomorrow and see if you can work more out.
Chicken pus is usually chunky or cheese-like that's why it has to be removed, it won't dry up on it's own even with antibiotics.
Well I called ahead to my feed store and they told me they had veterycin eye ointment in stock. When I arrived they were all out of stock... lol. The lady behind the counter seemed pretty knowledgeable when I explained my situation and she recommended terramycin as a (superior) alternative. She told me that it would actually work better then the veterycin ointment.

Got home and went to apply the ointment - lo and behold, a decent size chuck of pus had dislodged itself and made its way to an accessible point. I cleaned it out a bit, rinsed with saline, and applied the terramycin in and around the eye (primarily under the flap near the front, by the beak, where most of the swelling was happening and a majority of the pus was built up).

Before applying the ointment - i noticed there was still a bit of inaccessible pus. I fussed with her enough today and thought maybe that more would wiggle itself out if I gave her some time to let it rest and feel better.

I'll check again in the morning and apply more ointment. I will most likely apply a bit more ointment tonight before she goes to sleep - but I won't attempt to irritate the eye too much more today.

The cool thing was - at first, she seemed very bothered by the ordeal, making tons of noise and wiggling to get free of my grip. By the end of all the treatment - she seemed very relaxed - almost like she understood it was for her own good. Or maybe what I was doing was helping relieve one of the "itches you can't scratch." I know the reliving feeling of popping an ingrown hair or something of the like. I can only imagine how scary (yet maybe relieving) it can be to have that sensation around and in the eye.

Thanks again SO much for all of your knowledge - I hope to be able to pay it forward :)

Well I called ahead to my feed store and they told me they had veterycin eye ointment in stock. When I arrived they were all out of stock... lol. The lady behind the counter seemed pretty knowledgeable when I explained my situation and she recommended terramycin as a (superior) alternative. She told me that it would actually work better then the veterycin ointment.

Got home and went to apply the ointment - lo and behold, a decent size chuck of pus had dislodged itself and made its way to an accessible point. I cleaned it out a bit, rinsed with saline, and applied the terramycin in and around the eye (primarily under the flap near the front, by the beak, where most of the swelling was happening and a majority of the pus was built up).

Before applying the ointment - i noticed there was still a bit of inaccessible pus. I fussed with her enough today and thought maybe that more would wiggle itself out if I gave her some time to let it rest and feel better.

I'll check again in the morning and apply more ointment. I will most likely apply a bit more ointment tonight before she goes to sleep - but I won't attempt to irritate the eye too much more today.

The cool thing was - at first, she seemed very bothered by the ordeal, making tons of noise and wiggling to get free of my grip. By the end of all the treatment - she seemed very relaxed - almost like she understood it was for her own good. Or maybe what I was doing was helping relieve one of the "itches you can't scratch." I know the reliving feeling of popping an ingrown hair or something of the like. I can only imagine how scary (yet maybe relieving) it can be to have that sensation around and in the eye.

Thanks again SO much for all of your knowledge - I hope to be able to pay it forward :)
Nice job!
Please keep us posted on how she's doing:)

@Wyorp Rock @aart @Eggcessive

A little update for you guys. I was able to get a MASSIVE chunk out of the eye today. Probably the primary reason that the front of the eye lid looked so swollen.

I saw the "little piece" of pus that I thougg was clogged in a pore/duct. I thought maybe with a saline soaked q-tip I could massage around the eye to loosen it/force it out. At one point I was able to kind of peel back the front of the eye lid - and this huge chuck popped out of there like a bullet out of a gun!!!!! Im sure that had to be most of it. I applied more terramycin this morning and then another light coating this afternoon. I think I'm getting somewhere! Who knew there could be this much crud in there... and I would've never thought to dig around for pus in there. I owe you guys!!!!

I know it looks small, but combined with all the other pieces I was able to get out over the last 24 hours - the amount of pus had to have been about double this size initially. I can't believe this much crud came out of her tiny serama eye!!!

20200922_124121.jpg

@Wyorp Rock @aart @Eggcessive

A little update for you guys. I was able to get a MASSIVE chunk out of the eye today. Probably the primary reason that the front of the eye lid looked so swollen.

I saw the "little piece" of pus that I thougg was clogged in a pore/duct. I thought maybe with a saline soaked q-tip I could massage around the eye to loosen it/force it out. At one point I was able to kind of peel back the front of the eye lid - and this huge chuck popped out of there like a bullet out of a gun!!!!! Im sure that had to be most of it. I applied more terramycin this morning and then another light coating this afternoon. I think I'm getting somewhere! Who knew there could be this much crud in there... and I would've never thought to dig around for pus in there. I owe you guys!!!!

I know it looks small, but combined with all the other pieces I was able to get out over the last 24 hours - the amount of pus had to have been about double this size initially. I can't believe this much crud came out of her tiny serama eye!!!

View attachment 2343985
:thumbsup I bet she feels better since you got that out!

20200922_193156.jpg

20200922_193214.jpg

Omg what a world of change after getting all that junk out!!!! Ill continue applying the terramycin until the swelling and redness goes away. Today is day 4 of drinking tylosin, one more day for a full dose regimen. So by Friday hopefully she'll be healthy as a horse - and looking as beautiful as ever!

View attachment 2344472
View attachment 2344474

Omg what a world of change after getting all that junk out!!!! Ill continue applying the terramycin until the swelling and redness goes away. Today is day 4 of drinking tylosin, one more day for a full dose regimen. So by Friday hopefully she'll be healthy as a horse - and looking as beautiful as ever!
Looks a lot better!

Looks a lot better!
And.... it looks like shes almost made a full recovery! The left eye still seems a bit larger/irritated when compared side by side. I'd say that she seems so much happier - but like I said in the beginning - she never acted like there was anything wrong. What a tough girl. Happy to finally see her without that lump on her face.
20200924_111815.jpg

20200924_111821.jpg

20200924_111826.jpg

Back
Top Bottom