Swollen Leg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BirdNerd101, Mar 16, 2015.

1. BirdNerd101

BirdNerd101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop
    This hen has been lame for a year now, but on her good foot there is a purple scab thing. It has been like this since december. I would say it is showing some improvement. She eats and drinks perfectly normal. The pic on the right is the newest. It was way better and got slightly worse, but is SLOWLY improving again. Both legs are almost the same temp, but are both warm/hot. It is a little swollen, but not much. Its kinda like its covered in a scab.
    [​IMG]
    I have been giving ES soaks twice a day, and covering it in polysporin.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    I think she just needs time.

2. BirdNerd101

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop
    Bump

3. chickenpatch

chickenpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    That is definitely bumblefoot, and it's pretty bad.
    The way I got rid of bumblfoot without using the surgery option is I used an strong cream. It's a strong antiseptic cream and I rubbed it into the scab three times a day. It worked like a charm. I don't know if it'll work for you because that bumblefoot is really bad. But give it a go.

4. BirdNerd101

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop
    Could it be bunblefoot? Its on the back of the leg/ankle not the boton of the foot.

5. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    Looks possibly like An abscess. A vet can remove it.

6. chickenpatch

chickenpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    Yes, it definitely looks like bumblefoot

A vet could surgically remove it, but it could prove costly. So I recommend trying an antiseptic cream for about 3 weeks and see how things go.

But you have to do something about it, bumblefoot is fatal and painful if left untreated.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  7. claier

claier Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    My duck has got the same and I took the top off the scab and have been washing daily with store bought antibacterial soap only a small amount and wrapping with bandages and gauze she couldn't walk on Saturday she was dragging herself and its now Monday and she is hobbling around hope this helps

8. BirdNerd101

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop
    Right now i am giving ES soaks and polysporin 2-3 times a day and will see how she is in a few weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by