Swollen Leg

BirdNerd101

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 11, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
This hen has been lame for a year now, but on her good foot there is a purple scab thing. It has been like this since december. I would say it is showing some improvement. She eats and drinks perfectly normal. The pic on the right is the newest. It was way better and got slightly worse, but is SLOWLY improving again. Both legs are almost the same temp, but are both warm/hot. It is a little swollen, but not much. Its kinda like its covered in a scab.

I have been giving ES soaks twice a day, and covering it in polysporin.
Any help would be appreciated!
I think she just needs time.

That is definitely bumblefoot, and it's pretty bad.
The way I got rid of bumblfoot without using the surgery option is I used an strong cream. It's a strong antiseptic cream and I rubbed it into the scab three times a day. It worked like a charm. I don't know if it'll work for you because that bumblefoot is really bad. But give it a go.

Yes, it definitely looks like bumblefoot

A vet could surgically remove it, but it could prove costly. So I recommend trying an antiseptic cream for about 3 weeks and see how things go.

But you have to do something about it, bumblefoot is fatal and painful if left untreated.

Last edited:
My duck has got the same and I took the top off the scab and have been washing daily with store bought antibacterial soap only a small amount and wrapping with bandages and gauze she couldn't walk on Saturday she was dragging herself and its now Monday and she is hobbling around hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom