Swollen Legs, Please Help!

Theeggboxtoo

Songster
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
Alabama
1) What type of bird , age and weight. Welsummer bantam, 4 months old, i'm not sure, she is very tiny
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Her legs are very swollen, not her feet, just her legs.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Today
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? N/A
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I will post pic tomorrow
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use wood shavings, chicken tractor

I don't think it's mites or bumblefoot, they are very smoothly swollen with no bumps or abnormal colors,

Please Help!

Last edited:
Well, the treatment for leg mites is harmless and inexpensive -- smother them with Vaseline or Pam or most anything greasy. If she were mine I would probably try this. If there is no infection or trauma, I have no idea what else it might be.

Pic 1
69221_033.jpg

Pic 2
69221_034.jpg

Pic 3
69221_038.jpg

How has it turned for your Welsummer with swollen legs?

I did a search on the forum here on swollen legs, and yours look like one of mine.

Did you find out what it was? Did it go away and she got better?

Quote:
She died a couple weeks ago
hit.gif
I never found out what she had... I think it had something to do with her tiny size...
hit.gif

I just read somewhere today that swelling in the legs and feet can be a sign of coryza (I know it sounds kooky) in which case you'd want to use Sulmet.

Back
Top Bottom