Swollen lump in eye

clarsen5325

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 1, 2014
Pine valley, CA
What is going on with my Cochin? We recently added a new hen to the flock so I figured she got pecked but it's bigger today. What is this? She's not sneezy or runny, she's eating, drinking, and pleanty of energy.

Could you get a closer picture? Pecks to the eye, as well as MG or coryza can cause eye swelling. No offense, but that waterer in the picture really needs to be bleached and cleaned out.

Could you get a closer picture? Pecks to the eye, as well as MG or coryza can cause eye swelling. No offense, but that waterer in the picture really needs to be bleached and cleaned out.

No offense taken! My husband closed off the area in quite a rush before work and used an old stained waterer. It's already taken care of. :)

It could well be from a peck wound or sting, or even a cyst, but with mycoplasma (MG) there can be swelling and eye drainage without the other symptoms. MG can be brought in through new chickens added to the flock that are carriers. Here is a little about MG, and if you think that it is MG, you can treat with some Tylan or oxytetracycline. I would also clean the eye with cotton and use either Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin in the eye twice a day for a week. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom