Swollen middle toe on Runner Duck foot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lynepie, Nov 9, 2015.

1. lynepie

lynepie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2015
    My Runner duck started limping today. I caught her and looked at her foot, it looks like there may be something in the toe [​IMG]
    maybe. I soaked it in Epson salt and put some triple antibiotic on it. She is in a crate right now, I didn't know how to wrap a duck foot. It there anything else I should do? How many times a day should I soak the foot and for how long? Should I try to dig in the foot to see if it is a thorn or do you think it will come out on its own? The top of her foot looks ok. Thank you for any help.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is that a small hole can you rub your finger over and feel anything. Soak in Epsom salt a couple times a day warm water ES [don't let her drink the water ES is also a laxative] then use clear iodine over the area or drawing slave if there is a splinter it should start working it's way up to the surface. But may take several days so keep her on soft bedding in the mean time. I wouldn't dig in it at all give this time to work.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My first thought is it's a splinter. Looks like the one Romy had. I would not wrap the foot. Just keep her quiet, try some Epsom salt soak (don't let her ingest it, it's a laxative.). Maybe put some triple antibiotic without painkiller on the top and bottom of the foot. Then get help if you need it to hold her, and use a nice clean pair of tweezers and try to get it out. With Romy I just grabbed the black dot and pulled straight out.

[​IMG]

Here is the splinter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by