Swollen Quick after lost toenail

Sarah Joan

In the Brooder
May 26, 2021
Ontario
Hello,

I’ve read a few threads about chickens losing their nails that put me at ease when one of my girls lost one and was bleeding a fair bit. I got the bleeding stopped, bandaged her up to keep it clean and have been changing them daily since Sunday when it happened. I’ve been using Vetericyn and neosporin.

Yesterday and today her quick has become very swollen, today there is a bubble on it. I’m wondering if this is something that other chickens who lost nails have experienced or if this may be the start of an infection.

F6BAE8B1-A5C7-422C-82EA-64118ACCAEE2.jpeg

99A40C7E-E785-4DF7-8215-6A60A70E9A94.jpeg

I’m in Canada so antibiotics aren’t easy to get or a vet that will look at a chicken in my area.

Just looking for some general advice or if there are any other northern Ontario chicken keepers that were able to get their hands on antibiotics for their chickens?

Thanks in advance!

It is just like someone getting a fingernail torn off. Antibiotics are probably not necessary. I would soak the foot and keep it clean, then apply some Betadine or povidone iodine, or Chlorhexidene to the toe. It will be very sore and make take a week or two to heal.

It is just like someone getting a fingernail torn off. Antibiotics are probably not necessary. I would soak the foot and keep it clean, then apply some Betadine or povidone iodine, or Chlorhexidene to the toe. It will be very sore and make take a week or two to heal.
Thank you! I will see if I can get my hands on any of those!

It’s nice to just have another set of eyes on it to make sure I’m doing the right thing for this girl.

Thanks again 😊

Epsom salt soakings could help, as @Eggcessive suggests. Topical antimicrobial ointment will suffice.

If you see swelling persist and increase in the toe, it may be she will lose the toe tip, not uncommon and not dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom