Swollen, Red Legs, from Mites?

Allie44820

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 11, 2016
Hi, I have 4 birds and noticed a fowl mite infestation a few days ago so I applied permethrin powder to birds and coop with plan to reapply in 1 week. Today Onyx (dark Brahma) appears lethargic, not active, I watched for a bit, no eating/drinking/pooping. I thought it was mite side effects, so I gave her a bath with Dawn soap and salt, dried her well, applied animal first aid goo to legs and put her back out. Most of the mites are gone on her. An hour later she is still just standing, not even preening/foraging. I have her in garage now and sections on her legs appear very red and swollen. I attached photos. I did not reapply powder on her because I don’t want mites to become resistant. I think there is a wound on her leg, but I’m not sure if it’s bumble foot since the bottoms of her feet are fine. She is not showing any preference on which leg to use either. I would appreciate any thoughts, thank you.
IMG_0449[1].JPG
E7A44B77-2034-4E46-971C-90B68E61ABD8.jpeg
2338973F-F2D4-4F31-ADC6-3E3F78EC3D9C.jpeg
029CF328-B987-46BD-BAFD-E916C5432C74.jpeg
462ED9DA-88BD-407A-B31F-C4E972919398.jpeg

Leg mites will lift the scales out away from the shanks, and what appears as dirt will be under them. What I see is red skin irritation from feather shafts growing or perhaps othr chickens pecking at the feet. Try spraying the irritated skin with Vetericyn wound spray to kill bacteria and promote healthy tissue. If there is any breaks in the skin, pain them with Blu-kote to protect them and disguise them.

It looks like the skin around the feathers are irritated, this can be from mud, feces or just something in the environment causing a reaction or some sort of bacterial or fungal growth.

Thank you all for your help, the vetericyn is working, I added powder to her feet in the other spots because some scales were raised from mites.

Back
Top Bottom