Swollen Turkey face. Help **PICS**

dixie&trixie

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Yreka California
So the story is I let my turkeys free range with the "big girls" for the first time yesterday and it was a mistake. My white turkey looks as if she was hen pecked on the head. When I found her it was red and "moist". I brought her in, washed the area and put antibiotic ointment on it. She began scratching it like crazy and rubbing her head against her shoulders. She also had what looked like dried snot clogging her nostrils. When I cleaned it off she just had a constant string of clear mucous that I kept wiping away. Gross, I know.

Today her head wound was dried up and mostly a hard scab (although she is still scratching it). I put her out in the grow out pen with the other turkeys her age and she has been eating and drinking fine. When I went out a few minutes ago to put them up for the night I gave her a once over and noticed the whole right side of her face is swollen. Can anyone tell me what is wrong or what I can do to fix it? I dont want to wait and let it get worse. Im assuming its already infected. Any help would be so appreciated.

58739_027.jpg

58739_028.jpg

58739_030.jpg

58739_029.jpg

crd. cronic respitory desease. tylan 50 2 cc by mouth. or with a very small needle 2 cc in the breast. should be fine in a few days, treat it for at least three days. asap.

1stly i am not a vet and 2ndly im far from a turkey expert. In my experience tho, infected wounds usually have heat in them to the touch and an outer redness.
Nasal discharge nearly allways means a viral infection.
I can tell you this much.
Hope your baby gets well soon.

I second the Resiratory issue, with the nasal discharge it is pretty bad. Give the turkey tylan 50 1cc/ml per ten lbs body weight. twice a day for a week. The bird will be much better after a few days, continue the treatment for a week. You can inject or get it down its throat. Due to the size i would try the throat and if you have any other birds with nasal discharge go ahead and treat it at the same time.

The swollen face is more than likely from getting beat up! Its like a boxer after a fight. I guess you learned not to put those babies out with the big birds untill they are old enough to defend them selfs. Turkeys do not have a good immune system as poults but it could all be related to the head trauma. If you can get some Tylan 200, you could treat it only once.

Back
Top Bottom