Swollen upper wattle on one side no other symptoms

TheRusticRebel

Songster
Apr 24, 2019
South Carolina, USA
I noticed this on one of my 4 Yo RIRs last night when i was locking the coop for the night. Today ive been watching her and she seems to.be fine, eating, drinking, scratching and pecking. Following the rest of the flock around their area. This is a pic from a few moments ago. Ive watched her poo and that is normal. Ive not noticed any unusual poo when cleaning off the poop boards today.

Could this be a bite ? I did see a large fire ant pile near the coop this afternoon. Or a sting?. Her other wattle is bright red and normal. No mucous around her beak or troubles breathing. Not acting lethargic. Ive googled and her wattle doesnt look like cholera to me...what do you all think?i attached a pic.of both sides. Sorry they are blurry she wouldnt sit still

Attachments

• 20221002_180255.jpg
    20221002_180255.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221002_180235.jpg
    20221002_180235.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 7
in the pic it looks pink but it look whitish in the center in person.

Eta i have been habing issues with wasp nests in the coop but i havent seen one since we knocked the last one down

It looks like a sting to me. My roo was squinty by the time the sting took full effect. My DH had to remove the nest that were being built. I got stung too! Grrrr!
Ouch.yeah i got stung in the arm this spring. My arm was sore for days.those dang wasps.

The more i think of it i wonder if it was a bee. There are several persimmons trees in their area. And they are dropping fruit right now. The bees tend to swarm the fruit and the chickens like it too. Never in 4 years had one stung like this though. Ill keep an eye on it and maybe spray some wound care on it.

Back
Top Bottom