Swollen Wattle

Nancy12

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Hello, I am new to this group. :)

One of our chickens has a swollen wattle. One side has a black small round spot. I have researched the internet and I see things like...infected wattle...frostbite wattle etc. (We live in Raleigh, NC and have some recent snow/ice but our Coop has a roof and weather protector to keep the wind and rain/snow/ice off of them.)

How do we determine what it is and what to do about it. We have 12 chickens and Frizzy is the only one who has a swollen wattle. She is eating and drinking.

I would certainly appreciate your input on this! She's a very sweet girl!

Thank you!

Nancy

Welcome to BYC! You need 10 posts to get a pic to show up, so just make some comments in other threads.

Does it look like a pecking injury? Like a bloody scab? Hot to the touch?

**I would apply some neosporin with out any "caine" pain relieving additives to it until able to get a pic posted for start of treatment**

Last edited:
Thank you for your response and also letting me know when I can post a pic!

It does not look like a pecking injury and is not bloody. We haven't touched it yet but will tonight.

Just remembered.....we have Bag Balm.....is that the same type of stuff as neosporin?

Bag balm it does have antiseptic in it so it would work too. I would post a pic asap, just occurred to me that depending on what it looks like could be a huge range of illnesses, virus etc. The pictures would help the more experienced people put a word in on the possible cause.

thank you! I believe I'm getting close to 10 replies so I should be able to upload the pic soon! :)

Back
Top Bottom