Swollen wattles and yellow masses around beak 😰 what do?

TheSassyFlock

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2021
Hello, our precious Cherski needs help and we haven't been able to figure out exactly what's going on with her. The area around her beakie is swollen and because of that her wattles are sticking out to the sides more than they should. There are also some yellow masses on her cheeks/sides of the beak and she seems to bop her head more than the other girls while she's eating, so it looks like she might be having some difficulty swallowing. Looked it up online and it says it might be wet fowl pox, bit I am just not sure 100% that's what it is.

I've attached some pictures, and also here is a video of her:

Here is some more information on Cherski:
1) She is a White Brahma, 8-9 months old at a nice healthy hefty weight.
2) She is not laying but other than that her behavior is unchanged. She is just as lively and sassy as always, her symptoms are not slowing her down at all.
3) Symptoms have been going on for about 2 weeks.
4) The rest of the flock seems to be unaffected.
5) Never noticed any trauma, bleeding or injury.
6) No idea what happened to cause this.
7) Cherski has been eating her organic feed, drinking water with electrolytes/probiotics/vitamins and for snacks we give the girls corn and barley.
8) Have not seen her poop recently so I'm not sure how it's looking exactly.
9) We have not done any treatment other than vitamins in the water since the internet says it might be fowl pox and there's no treatment for it apparently. Don't want to load her up with antibiotics if they are not necessary.
10) I would like to treat by myself if possible.
11) Pictures posted 👍
12) The girls have a well ventilated run area, we use straw as bedding and we clean poops 3 to 4 times a day.

Thank you tremendously in advance for reading and helping 🙏

Attachments

• IMG_8942.jpg
    IMG_8942.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8941.jpg
    IMG_8941.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8940.jpg
    IMG_8940.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 7
What does the inside of her beak look like?
Can you see any lesions inside the beak, throat or under her tongue?
We have not checked inside the beak yet, but we will do it tomorrow 👍 are there any good techniques to get her to open her beak so we can get a good look in there or just hold her securely and gently pry it open?

If you need to, swaddle her in a towel to help capture her wings so you have more control over her. If you have help, then it will make it easier to look inside her beak.
I tried doing it solo yesterday and she wasn't having any of it but today my wife and I had matching schedules so she was able to help me and everything went smoothly. Thank you for the tip 👍 the towel and having a second person to help made it a breeze!

So we looked in there a few times and did not see any lesions at all, everything looked normal. What does this mean and is there anything else we need to investigate? Thank you so much for your help with this Wyorp 🙏

I have no idea what would be causing that if the inside of her beak is clear. With Fowl Pox I would expect to see more lesions (pox marks) on the wattles/face/comb. Fowl Cholera, I would have to assume she would be symptomatic by now anyway (lethargic, mucous, not eating/drinking, etc.).
She's eating/drinking and active so....
Maybe @Eggcessive @coach723 or @azygous may have better ideas.

Back
Top Bottom