Swollen wattles and yellow masses around beak 😰 what do?

I have no idea what would be causing that if the inside of her beak is clear. With Fowl Pox I would expect to see more lesions (pox marks) on the wattles/face/comb. Fowl Cholera, I would have to assume she would be symptomatic by now anyway (lethargic, mucous, not eating/drinking, etc.).
She's eating/drinking and active so....
Maybe @Eggcessive @coach723 or @azygous may have better ideas.

Thank you so much for the information Wyorp and @Eggcessive when I looked up these diseases online they always show like the worst case scenarios so it makes you panic immediately and there's no way to tell if it's the same thing as what your bird has because there's not a single image out there of a normal/moderate case.

OK we will continue to monitor her and keep checking the inside of the beak to see if anything starts developing in there. Do you think it may be some sort of an infection or would that look completely different, more purplish/red with puss discharge? I guess an infection would also have a bad smell associated with it and I give her Eskimo kisses pretty much every day and I have not noticed any smelliness. I am just trying to think if some sort of antibiotic would be useful or if it would do more harm than good at this point and weaken her immune system which is currently working overtime trying to fight off whatever she has.

It's a bit hard to tell but the lesions do seem to look a bit better today and some chunks are coming off so hoping for the best and now knowing that it's probably not the Pox or the Cholera is bringing us some peace 💝 thank you again!!

The pertinent question is do you have active mosquitoes? If so, it's very likely fowl pox. Since this lovely lady is feeling okay, that's more reason to suspect pox.

There's no gentle way to open a chicken's beak. They are like alligators in jaw strength. Since I have ancient arthritic hands that can't even unload a bag of gorceries from my truck without dropping the bag and breaking open the apple juice and having the sticky stuff fly all over the floor and other bags (grrr, just happend a minute ago), I use both hands to force the beak open and then I slip a finger inside the beak to hold it open. If you can get someone to hold the chicken while you inspect the throat, it would be much easier. If you see blisters inside the throat, she may be having trouble swallowing.

The pertinent question is do you have active mosquitoes? If so, it's very likely fowl pox. Since this lovely lady is feeling okay, that's more reason to suspect pox.

There's no gentle way to open a chicken's beak. They are like alligators in jaw strength. Since I have ancient arthritic hands that can't even unload a bag of gorceries from my truck without dropping the bag and breaking open the apple juice and having the sticky stuff fly all over the floor and other bags (grrr, just happend a minute ago), I use both hands to force the beak open and then I slip a finger inside the beak to hold it open. If you can get someone to hold the chicken while you inspect the throat, it would be much easier. If you see blisters inside the throat, she may be having trouble swallowing.

Hi Azygous, we are in the northwest suburbs of Chicago in northern Illinois so we haven't had any mosquitos for at least a month, possibly a little bit of mosquito activity in October. Maybe she caught the pox at the tail end of the mosquito season?

Hahaha yes, learned about the gator jaw strength very quickly 😊 my wife has been helping me with beak checking duty and we are slowly becoming pros at it 💪 when I brought corn to the girls today, Cherski was the FIRST ONE there stuffing her beak so I guess she's getting better even though her wattles are still looking a bit rough.

So sorry about your groceries dropping and going all over the place! That's never a good time 😥 I remember this one time it happened to me too and a jar of pickles broke and the juice went all over my wife's favorite rug. Luckily she was in Poland at the time so I had like 2 weeks to clean it and make sure it doesn't smell like pickles... I got lucky, she still doesn't know 😅

Back
Top Bottom