symptoms of paralysis in 6 month old French Black Copper Marans hen

Goronson Chicks

Songster
Sep 13, 2014
Maine
Hi folks,
Last night when I went to put the chickens to bed I found one of my hens "nesting" on the ground in the dark too weak to get up. This came on suddenly. She seemed very listless when I picked her up. So I brought her into the heated garage and placed her in a cage. She can't walk. Is sort of laying on her side. Her eyes are still bright and she is very aware. She did move herself around the cage some. Mostly to get herself into a corner, with her bum raised high in the air. Once I came back in and she had her whole bum inside the round water dish and was nesting on top of that, again with her butt lifted high up into the air. But she can't stand up.

Any ideas about what to look for? Could this be symptoms of being egg bound? I've been feeding her Poultry Cell, electrolytes and probiotics with antibiotics from an eye dropper.

She likes this - with some coaxing (and if I don't push too much down too fast) she will accept it. She smacks her beak to tell me that she is hungry but doesn't seem to be drinking water or eating on her own.

Any other treatment recommended?

there are people who will have a much better idea than I do, when I hear paralysis I think of ticks. However, I don't know.

there are people who will have a much better idea than I do, when I hear paralysis I think of ticks. However, I don't know.

It's awfully cold here in Maine for ticks to have been active - been too cold for the past month or more. I haven't seen any. But thank you for that thought.

Is there a way to tell the difference between symptoms of Mareks and being egg bound?
Thank for sending these links. I have been reading about both on the internet but didn't see a way of telling the diff.

yes, you can feel the egg inside her, compare what you feel to your other chickens.

edit: I think it may be possible to feel the egg inside her from the outside. possible I think.

Last edited:
Hi folks,
I just did my first vent check with a glove and olive oil. No egg that I can find. But now her right leg is stretched straight out and she can only use the other one to maneuver.

She coughed an odd cough once. It's a cough that I heard her other sister FBCM hen do twice this morning. Do they cough with Mareks?
Maureen

Back
Top Bottom