Symptoms of Wry neck

ChickenPeep

Faith & Feathers
11 Years
May 1, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
What are the symptoms of Wry neck?
hu.gif

Ditto!!! I have a 6 week old Jersey Giant pullet who seems to have come down with some sort of "neck problem". Yesterday afternoon she was fine and when we checked on them before bed, her neck was crooked and she could only walk backward! Poor baby! It was so sad. I immediately brought her in and started giving her scrambled egg, vitamin E, brewer's yeast on her pellets and vitamin/mineral/electrolytes in her water. Today she is doing SOOOOO much better. Last night I was petrified she would die. She was so lethargic and seemingly disoriented. I'm continuing with vitamin E, selenium, vitamin water, Polyvisol and brewer's yeast. She's also getting a scrambled egg for breakfast and one for dinner. I hope it's not too much protein for her. I have no idea what caused it. It was so acute. A month ago I never would have believed I'd find myself up at midnight bawling, praying and nursing a sick chicken. Oh dear......
But she's doing better today and I'm so thankful!

I'm trying the poly vi sol and honestly it has far less nutrients than I expected for a costly bottle. I looked at the feed store and found a vitamin mineral supplement with much more vit/min at half the price. Too bad I hadn't looked a the poly vi sol before. :(

How or better, where do you get the vit E and Se supplement?

My poult hatched with a neck issue so liquid is best as it's not eating yet.

Feeding ipoult Gatorade and poly vi sol and can get a few crumbles in.

I just got my vitamin E and selenium at the local health food store. You can probably find it at a drug store too. Or even a grocery store or Walmart (Eew....I hate Walmart!!!) The selenium is a 50 mcg tab and the E is a 200 IU. We crushed the selenium. We mixed them both with the vit/electrolyte water and we're giving it by eyedropper. I have no idea what the proper dosage is so I'm just praying I'm not going to hurt her by giving her too much! Good luck! Who knew raising poultry could be so stressful!! :( I'm just hoping she continues to improve.

It is stressful, isn't it.

Vit E and Se are in the griup that is possible to overdose. Usually Se is overdosed when feed too much for a long time. One or two high doses are not a problem.

But what the heck, we are both winging it, Not sure a vet could so any better.

On another thread, Vit E was suggested at a drop at a time several times a day. Until symptoms are gone. So I nipped a capsule and put a drop in the poults mouth.

fl.gif

Good to know on the OD issue. I did the same with my vit E last night. I just pricked the end of the capsule with a needle and placed several drops on her lower beak. She wasn't diggin' it much, but I'm willing to torment her a bit for her own good. It seems to be working....... This morning I dropped a few drops onto her scrambled egg and she ate it.

This baby isn't eating yet so I'm hoping that with the oils from the VIt E and the sugar in the gatorade and a pinch of starter this poult will hold out long enough. I can only try.
fl.gif

I never thought about trying Gatorade! I gave her a little molasses last night and she took it. This morning I tried to put a bit in her scrambled egg and she wouldn't eat it though. Good luck with your baby!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom