1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

T-Day Turkey Carcass

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by N F C, Nov 26, 2015.

1. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Well, here's what I did...

There was still some meaty stuff on the neck after I cleaned it as part of the giblets used for gravy. DH & I each took a piece of the neck out to the girls to see what they would think. They LOVED it! There was almost nothing left by the time they were through picking at it.

I don't know if they'll get any more because I do like using the carcass for soup stock but at least the girls got a little taste of Thanksgiving and they had fun!

1 person likes this.
  2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome nortfhflchick and geez 27 pounds between two i think i just be rolled to bed after that meal lol

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @NorthFLChick I saw your thread this am and wondered the same thing. Thanks for asking and sharing the neck extravaganza, wish I could have been there to video that:)

@Jesusfreak101 Good job gal on the research and links. Got them bookmarked. Would never have thought of sharing my pumpkin pie [​IMG]

But my gals love chicken, turkey, hot dogs, beef and pork. I only did a turkey breast, but tomorrow they can pick it clean after I remove the best parts [​IMG] ( don't tell them T day was Thursday and not Friday)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    For people, Thanksgiving is Thursday. For chickens, it's Friday. I think I saw that in the Learning Center one time...it's a rule. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can use the carcass for stock and still give it to them afterwards. There's not much meat, but they'll have fun picking over the bones. They don't eat the bones themselves, or not all of them, so after a few days I either pull the carcass out or let the dog in the pen and he happily cleans up what they didn't eat. It's just too weird for me to run across parts of a carcass months later in the deep litter...I'm always wondering if I lost a bird [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Oh my gosh, you had to say that, lol! Months after the fact I would have forgotten they had a turkey and wondered who that was! [​IMG]

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    LOL.

If I don't leave a bit of meat on the bone, they may go on strikeā€¦but hey I only have one hen laying, the others are all molting and on break..[​IMG]

OK, dumb question: What do you do with the turkey stock and how do you make it? [​IMG] Bet you would need a whole turkey and not just the t.breast I cooked.

8. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Lol you need more i think as well sunflour the more bones the better. I tried one time ith chicken quarters and didnt have enough bones[​IMG]. But any ways lol i chopped up the carcass we had.

9. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    You use stock instead of water to make soup, cooking rice, making stuffing, or whatever you want to flavor. It adds lots of vitamins and minerals to what you use it for in your recipes. To make it you put the bones, skin and all into a pot or crockpot. Cover with water and let it simmer for several hours. I usually simmer for about 3 or 4 hours. The bones have lots of nutrition in the marrow and the skin adds more flavor. When it's done you strain through a colander to separate the liquid (stock). If you're not going to use it right away you can freeze it. If there is enough meat left on the bones you can pick it off and save it for soup or casserole (or in the spirit of this thread... feed it to the chickens). Discard the bones and skin when done. You can do this with any meat bones (turkey, chicken, pork, beef, etc). Plus it's cheaper than buying it in the cans and tastes better too.

You can do it with the turkey breast you just won't be making as much. If you don't think you have enough you can freeze the bones and skin until you have more to add to it and then make a soup stock later.

PS that was not a dumb question - no such thing. The only way to learn anything new is to ask. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by