T-post pounder on head?

Dunkopf

Songster
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
Kiowa, Colorado
How many people have lifted a T-post driver too high and hit yourself in the head? I did it about 5 years ago, Son did it 2 years ago, daughter did it today. It hurts like ****. My son had to have 5 stitches.

Sounds like it runs in your family..
lol.png

Guilty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stitches and major goose egg. Never wanted to do that more than once. And I ain't tall enough to kick a duck in the butt, if you guys are tall I could see where it could and would be a way thing easy to do.

How did I fix?

I made a driver out of a length of 2-1/2 drill stem. Length 4' cap on the end, fits over the end of the tee post, ain't no way you lift it high enough for it to come off. Diameter fits hand very well, weight is slightly lighter then a purpose made driver. Building a 4' fence drive post until driver touches the ground and whalah--- you done.

Quote:
Nah!

But it does make you roll around on the ground and curse a lot!

It's one of them type of pains where brand new cuss words can be invented.

I think this is a problem that is common with us vertically challenged folks.
big_smile.png
I have done this many times working on the ranch! Lots of knots, but no stitches.

I figured out that's the reason they paint the top 8" or so. I watch the pole now and when I see that stripe I stop lifting. Yes I was surprised at all the cuss words my 17 year old knew when he did that. We were driving 7' poles and he is 6'4", he actually raised the whole thing off the post and it landed open end on top of his head. nasty gash. Standing there while your kid writhes on the ground in pain is horrible. Of course he wouldn't let me hold him. At least my daughter let it tip off and bonk her that way. I could hold her while the pain went from a 10 to a 7.

Lesson learned. Watch for the stripe.

I hate driving in t-posts because I'm so short I have to carry a darn step stool around with me to get the pounder off the top. My biggest fear isn't it landing on my head, though that fear has crossed my mind, but falling off the stool when the weight lands on my shoulder. I'm always afraid it won't land correctly and instead I'll have the free weight dangling behind me, toppling me over. Thus far it hasn't happened.

I'm blonde, so I wouldn't even try that! I put in T-posts by having hubby hold them while I plop the bucket of my BobKitty skidloader on top of the post and shove it in the ground. Have gotten to the point where the job goes pretty fast. Haven't bashed hubby either (although I DO have a crematory where I could "hide" the evidence)
tongue2.gif

Slinky

Back
Top Bottom