Table scraps

We have a scrap pile out by the coop. The chickens free range in the afternoon. I make sure we throw the scraps out early enough so the chickens have time to go through it before they turn in for the night. I have found that if there are a lot of scraps it brings in the night predators and then they try to get into the coop.

One thing I don't feed them is chicken meat. I think of humans don't eat humans so chickens shouldn't eat chicken....may seem weird, but we all have our quirks:)

The rest is tossed out in the pile...which is not really a pile since they clean it up pretty good. They don't eat the corn husks, potato peels, or raw green beans.

Cajunlizz:

yuckyuck.gif
I had to laugh at your post. I have 4 silkies (2mos.old) and 3 buff cochins (3mos.old). I try different treats for them too. Try crushing your Honey Nut Cheerios(not too much) with a rolling pin. Put them in a zip-lock bag first. And I don't think your silkies would mind generic cereal. It's alot cheaper. Or maybe they're getting the stale Good Stuff!! Mine didn't like tomatoes. They looked like they were making wine outta them. Yogurt and cooked oats was like a spa treatment, not a treat to EAT! It's alot of fun though and keeps me out of trouble(like hitting the mall 3 times a week) This BYC forum is great too. Keeps me off of eBay, Zappos, Amazon.com,etc.
wee.gif

hi..wyliefarms...why not raw green beans?..now i'm nervous..lol..i give them to mine all the time....hope i'm not giving them anything that can harm them?....thanks,Wendy

OK This is rughooker. Let ME tell you what I thought was funny. Cajunlizz is from Louisiana. I love New Orleans..Been there 6 times. Love the food too. When she said flavored rice,I thought of Zatarans. I could see her Cajun chickens turning up their noses(?) to Cajun rice!!! Lighten up everyone. I wasn't even online to defend myself.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom