Tail Down, Feather Loss and laying down a lot

OK. Figured I'd update this in case it can help anyone else out. Even though I didn't see any real evidence of worms I decided to worm her. The next day she was sooo much better. Her constant panting stopped. So I wormed the rest of the flock and she is back out with them. She is starting to walk normally again. Still not 100 percent but every day she is better. Could worms have caused all this? Or is this just coincidence?

My buff orpingtons x 4 are 3 months old and starting to loose some of their short white fluffy undercoat feathers and also some of their gold feathers.. It is very hot here. I have been mixing DE with the dry dirt in their run. Should I actually dust them with the DE? Any other suggestions?
When will they start laying? 2 out of 4 are REALLY big girls. Full red combs. Other two are smaller..They free range all day. Eating well..
I figure my first dozen eggs will be worth about $800.00. Wow chickens are not cheap!! Loving them still....

So my poor little Buff Orp is still not doing all that great. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

She has not been right since early July. I thought for sure I was going to lose her. But she has survived and did seem to get better. But then she gets bad again. Right now she is molting and having a real hard time with that too though she seems to be almost done.

So originally I thought she might be eggbound. She hasn't been laying eggs at all. I did worm her and the rest of the flock. Which seemed to help a bit, but maybe was just coinincidence. She doesn't walk normal at all. Its almost hard for her to walk and she tends to lay down most of the time. Its obviously difficult for her to stand up/lay down. And even to bend down to eat I can tell its hard for her. Surprisingly her coloring is fine. (Comb nice and red) Her feathers look great (she is molting, but otherwise the new ones coming in look nice). Her sisters started to really pick on her so I have her in a separate pen area so she can't get picked on and can eat her food at her leisure. She does eat/drink but she is extremely skinny. She is all skin/feathers. I have tried offering cracked corn, eggs, mealies in an attempt to fatten her up. I wish she had a heartier appetite. She does like the mealies at least. I do add some vitamins to her water. It does seem like stages where she will seem better, but then get worse again. None of my other chickens are exhibiting any illness. I did lose a wyndotte recently, but that is definitely not related. She had no sign of illness and I just found her dead one day in her dusting area. It looked as if she suffered a heart attack or something while dustbathing :(

My buff's poo's look great- nice and normal.

Is it possible she is internally laying and has just managed to survive this long??? Would that cause her to lose so much weight? I'm almost starting to wonder if she needs to be put down :( She pretty much lays down all day and will hobble around a bit and then lay down again. I'm not sure if she is in pain, but she definitely has trouble standing/walking- almost like a neurological problem???? My husband has even started to become concerned about her.......

Please help!

So my poor little Buff Orp is still not doing all that great. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

She has not been right since early July. I thought for sure I was going to lose her. But she has survived and did seem to get better. But then she gets bad again. Right now she is molting and having a real hard time with that too though she seems to be almost done.

So originally I thought she might be eggbound. She hasn't been laying eggs at all. I did worm her and the rest of the flock. Which seemed to help a bit, but maybe was just coinincidence. She doesn't walk normal at all. Its almost hard for her to walk and she tends to lay down most of the time. Its obviously difficult for her to stand up/lay down. And even to bend down to eat I can tell its hard for her. Surprisingly her coloring is fine. (Comb nice and red) Her feathers look great (she is molting, but otherwise the new ones coming in look nice). Her sisters started to really pick on her so I have her in a separate pen area so she can't get picked on and can eat her food at her leisure. She does eat/drink but she is extremely skinny. She is all skin/feathers. I have tried offering cracked corn, eggs, mealies in an attempt to fatten her up. I wish she had a heartier appetite. She does like the mealies at least. I do add some vitamins to her water. It does seem like stages where she will seem better, but then get worse again. None of my other chickens are exhibiting any illness. I did lose a wyndotte recently, but that is definitely not related. She had no sign of illness and I just found her dead one day in her dusting area. It looked as if she suffered a heart attack or something while dustbathing :(

My buff's poo's look great- nice and normal.

Is it possible she is internally laying and has just managed to survive this long??? Would that cause her to lose so much weight? I'm almost starting to wonder if she needs to be put down :( She pretty much lays down all day and will hobble around a bit and then lay down again. I'm not sure if she is in pain, but she definitely has trouble standing/walking- almost like a neurological problem???? My husband has even started to become concerned about her.......

Please help!

If she is eating,but is all skin and bones then i would think she still may have some parasite. Look up information for egg peritonitis,this is a possibility. Her crop is functioning normally,empties during the night and is full during the day? Check her all over,including bottom of her feet,look for any sores/wounds. I'm surprised her poop looks normal considering her behavior,sure the poop you are seeing is her poop? Another possibility is ovarian cancer,hens are susceptible to it just like women.

I have checked her over and do not see any wounds etc. i know it was her poop because I have her separate from the others. And I have watched her poo and inspected it. I decided to worm her again just in case but i dont think that is the issue. I am also giving her a round of antibiotic. But so far no improvement.

Im thinking I might have to put her down :(
She has no quality of life and is not getting any better. How do I know that I am making the right decision?

I guess I answered my own question :(
She is no longer suffering. I selfishly thought I could get her better and was only prolonging her pain. My husband did the deed and she went quickly.....its so hard but was the right thing to do....

I am so sorry to hear about your hard decision.
sad.png
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom