Tail feathers cocked to side?

ecwetzel

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 16, 2014
Does anyone know if this is anything to worry about? There is a golfball-sized bump on our 2-month chicks back. It's hard and does not seem to bother her when we touch it.

Rule of thumb for chickens is if they are eating, pooping, and behaving normally, then don't sweat it.

It's impossible to diagnose your chick from one photo on this forum, but I'm guessing your chick has a tumor caused by one of a number of chicken viruses. I happen to have an eight-year old Brahma hen who has an ocular tumor over one eye. It's been growing for a number of years but it seems not to be causing her any pain, though it does irritate her eye which I treat with steroid drops when it gets bad.

As long as your chick seems to be well, I wouldn't worry about her "interesting" tail.

By the way, was this a chick hatched on your premises or a hatchery chick or private breeder source?

Rule of thumb for chickens is if they are eating, pooping, and behaving normally, then don't sweat it.

It's impossible to diagnose your chick from one photo on this forum, but I'm guessing your chick has a tumor caused by one of a number of chicken viruses. I happen to have an eight-year old Brahma hen who has an ocular tumor over one eye. It's been growing for a number of years but it seems not to be causing her any pain, though it does irritate her eye which I treat with steroid drops when it gets bad.

As long as your chick seems to be well, I wouldn't worry about her "interesting" tail.

By the way, was this a chick hatched on your premises or a hatchery chick or private breeder source?

Hatchery. I figured this was part of the problem...

This could be an extreme case of 'wry tail', which is actually a twisted pelvis and/or spine. Bad breeding, but usually fine as a bird, and not a health issue for her. Definitely not something to breed on! Mary

Back
Top Bottom