Tail Feathers Pecked Off

Sunsout

Hatching
May 20, 2022
I purchased 14 chicks on April 28 from Runnings. 10 had arrived that day. 2 Barred Plymouth rocks and 2 Black Australorps, I was told were one week older but I suspect were 2 weeks older. On May 8, we moved all chicks to a 30 inch x 6 ft enclosure that we built and put on our porch with appropriate heat (I am in Minnesota). I changed all the bedding 2 days ago and noticed no issues. Last night I came home after being gone all day (I have out of town guests that I have been busy with) and noticed the tail feathers on one Barnvelder and one Gold Laced Wyandotte have been pecked off.

Since it was later in the evening, I separated the two injured birds together. They seem okay. They are pooping. The area around their vent is red and featherless but does not appear to be bleeding. The entire flock, particularly the older birds, seem stressed.

I need some advice on how to heal the injuries and, as importantly, from preventing this from happening again.

This was unexpected as everything was going so well and is extremely upsetting.

Thanks in advance for your help. Please don't hesitate to give me some tough love if I am blowing this chicken thing.

Is the coop not fully predator proof where a predatory bird came by or the older ones don't like the young?
Thank you for replying. The enclosure is on our enclosed porch as it has been a very cold spring. That is my suspicion that it is the older chicks though I had not seen any previous aggressive behavior. Should I separate the older chicks, do you think?

What you built would work well for the first two weeks, after that it is too small. I am surprised you can keep them in there? Often times, people trying to keep them warm and safe, actually do more harm by not giving them enough space, fresh air and sunshine.

You need to get those birds outside in a lot more space. They need to be able to jump and fly and move. They need to be able to get away from each other. They are very over crowded and over crowding leads to very ugly behaviors. Sometimes it can be very difficult to stop those habits. If you can't immediately get them into something bigger - sell some of them.

When chicks are little, what seems like a lot of space, rapidly becomes not enough space.

At this age, they could have a little heat at night. But really, they need to be outside, in a coop and run. Instead of heat, provide a shelter, called a huddle box, that they can snuggle together in at night, they produce quite a bit of heat themselves and will be fine.

Mrs K

You didn't ask, but really if it is not bleeding, it will heal on it's own. The thing is, separating birds can make it hard to put them back together again. What do you have for a long term set up?

14 birds will need a pretty large coop. Something like 8 feet by 8 feet. And should have a pretty large run too, as big as you can make it. If you have that, then get them out there ASAP. Put them all together in the new situation. Add multiple feed bowls set up so that if they are eating at one, they can't see others eating at another, I would have 4-5 spots. Add some boxes or totes on their sides for wind shelters in the run, put some pallets up against a wall or up on blocks. This lets birds get out of sight, and gives them exercise jumping and flying up on things, which makes for healthier birds.

If you don't have it, well then divide them into two or three groups, and get the coop put together asap.

If it is going to be a while before you can get a full size coup, sell some of these chicks. They either need more space, or you need less chicks.

Mrs K

I would give them a day or so to heal by sectioning off an area for them within the same brooder space with chicken wire or a dog crate. That way they are safe from the feather puller, but can still interact with the others.

Thank you for replying. The enclosure is on our enclosed porch as it has been a very cold spring. That is my suspicion that it is the older chicks though I had not seen any previous aggressive behavior. Should I separate the older chicks, do you think?
You can try to separate to see if that is the problem..

What you built would work well for the first two weeks, after that it is too small. I am surprised you can keep them in there? Often times, people trying to keep them warm and safe, actually do more harm by not giving them enough space, fresh air and sunshine.

You need to get those birds outside in a lot more space. They need to be able to jump and fly and move. They need to be able to get away from each other. They are very over crowded and over crowding leads to very ugly behaviors. Sometimes it can be very difficult to stop those habits. If you can't immediately get them into something bigger - sell some of them.

When chicks are little, what seems like a lot of space, rapidly becomes not enough space.

At this age, they could have a little heat at night. But really, they need to be outside, in a coop and run. Instead of heat, provide a shelter, called a huddle box, that they can snuggle together in at night, they produce quite a bit of heat themselves and will be fine.

Mrs K
Honestly, I have tears in my eyes from your post I am so thankful for your advice. We, as many I'm sure, got caught up in how cute the chicks were and overbought. I will move them into more room. These animals are so sweet and I really want to do what's best and I'm pretty sick that I have not. I still need to figure out how to treat the injuries.
Thank You!!!

I have an 6x10 coop on order with a 6x12 run but it is 2 weeks out and very obviously I cannot wait that long. I will figure something out today. Thank you
Ok, so I can get an amazing 6x12 coop delivered on Monday. What do you think I should do over the weekend? Of course it's it is going to be in the 50's during the day.
Thanks so much

Mrs. K
You didn't ask, but really if it is not bleeding, it will heal on it's own. The thing is, separating birds can make it hard to put them back together again. What do you have for a long term set up?

14 birds will need a pretty large coop. Something like 8 feet by 8 feet. And should have a pretty large run too, as big as you can make it. If you have that, then get them out there ASAP. Put them all together in the new situation. Add multiple feed bowls set up so that if they are eating at one, they can't see others eating at another, I would have 4-5 spots. Add some boxes or totes on their sides for wind shelters in the run, put some pallets up against a wall or up on blocks. This lets birds get out of sight, and gives them exercise jumping and flying up on things, which makes for healthier birds.

If you don't have it, well then divide them into two or three groups, and get the coop put together asap.

If it is going to be a while before you can get a full size coup, sell some of these chicks. They either need more space, or you need less chicks.

Mrs K
Mrs. K, I am going to use my entire porch (10x14) for the chickens this weekend until my coop arrives. I will leave a few tables, there are window ledges, a few food and water stations, any thing else that you can think of?

What should I do with the 2 chicks that I removed? Should I wait and reintroduce after they have healed up? I did buy some Blue-Kote and some anti feather picking oil.

Thank You!!

Back
Top Bottom