Tail feathers pointing down but appears healthy

erinp26

Chirping
Apr 23, 2017
One of my red sex links' tail feathers are pointing down & im not sure why. My other two started laying a week or two ago. Should I be concerned? She appears to be eating/drinking just fine. No behavioral warnings that I'm aware of. Shes a little bit smaller but I would assume she would be laying before my Easter eggers (all 21 weeks). Is there anything I should be doing? I'll post a pic when she comes out

One of my red sex links' tail feathers are pointing down & im not sure why. My other two started laying a week or two ago. Should I be concerned? She appears to be eating/drinking just fine. No behavioral warnings that I'm aware of. Shes a little bit smaller but I would assume she would be laying before my Easter eggers (all 21 weeks). Is there anything I should be doing? I'll post a pic when she comes out
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

Photos will be helpful
smile.png

At this point, from your description, just keep a watch on her. She may just be getting ready to start laying, they can look a bit off during that time. If she acts lethargic, lays around, goes off feed, etc., then you will need to investigate further.

I had a Barred Plymouth Rock rooster with a tail like that. Always pointed down, never up. He dragged his tail feathers in the dirt. Never seemed to affect his health, attitude or performance (ahem), but eventually he sustained a severe injury to his comb from a cock fight and I had to put him down at 2 years of age. Upon butchering him, I discovered he did not have a tail bone - just a fleshy knob. Just some sort of deformity or birth defect.

Back
Top Bottom