Tail Feathers Ripped Out

terrilhb

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Georgia
Went out to clean my brooder. Found an injured chick.
1) What type of bird , age and weight. 1 month old RIR, Minorca mix
2) What is the behavior, good
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? found this evening
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? found one other chick they had just started on
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.some bleeding missing feathers
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Think other chicks did it
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.yes
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? cleaned off with dial soap. dryed and put neosporine on it, isolated away from others
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? would rather treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Hay
73626_no_tail_feathers_134.jpg
73626_no_tail_feathers_135.jpg
73626_no_tail_feathers_137.jpg

Last edited:
I think there are some roo's in there. All of them are 1 month old. I hope and pray it is going to be ok.
fl.gif
hit.gif

How many of that age do you have in with adult birds? I have 2 about that age and they stay in a wire dog crate at night, they are with all during the day outside but I don't want that to happen to my younsters. the crate is in the coop but they are safe from the adults.

maybe over crowding? I know they can pick on each other at very young age, so this is probably pretty common, maybe separate into 2 brooders and see if that helps.

I would suggest a soak in epsom salts and then neosporin to the wound. Keep her isolated from the others and in a warm, dark environment. She'll also need some special treats!

Poor little thing. I would just isolate her in a little cat carrier or something similar and make sure she stays in a clean environment with food and clean water. They are amazing at healing with very little effort from us...

Back
Top Bottom