Can't tell if she's eggbound or something else.

Anyx

In the Brooder
May 2, 2020
I usually just give them oatmeal with tums in it when they have a hard time laying, which always worked pretty quickly. I've never had this happen before so not sure what it is.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Black australorp, 3 years old, I think she's lighter and probably thinner.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
I found her just laying in the run, after dark. Won't stand unless in water. Tender belly. White pearly stuff that looked like white soft soap came out of vent when I lubed her. Vent is pink but, was covered in poo and I had to cut some of the stuck together feathers to reveal it. Tail off to the side. Appetite seems good.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since at least 8 pm, guiltily, I hadn't checked on them since I fed and watered them a day or two ago.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
NA
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Oatmeal, soaked feed and tums.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Soaked in water, given oatmeal with tums and wet feed. Lubricated vent with olive oil.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Need to do it myself, no vets around.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She is residing in a shower with a coat as bedding at the moment. Normally in coop with pine shavings and heat lamp.

First, welcome to BYC!! :frow

A picture would greatly help if you can.

Does her vent area stink? This sounds like it could be vent gleet.

For that, you'd need to wash her tush off or soak her in Epsom salts to clean that all off, dry it, then spread Monistat cream (or equivalent) around and in her vent. You may need to do this a couple of times a day for a few days.

She would need probiotics too. Sugar-free Greek yogurt is one of the highest and buttermilk is good too. They make powdered probiotics for putting in water. Hydro Hen, and Save-A-Chick are two brands I've used as well as raw ACV (apple cider vinegar) with the Mother, 1 tablespoon per gallon. With that, make sure she's got another water source and only every other day of it.

You mentioned tender belly which is not a symptom of vent gleet and could be something else. Like I mentioned, a picture would help!

First, welcome to BYC!! :frow

A picture would greatly help if you can.

Does her vent area stink? This sounds like it could be vent gleet.

For that, you'd need to wash her tush off or soak her in Epsom salts to clean that all off, dry it, then spread Monistat cream (or equivalent) around and in her vent. You may need to do this a couple of times a day for a few days.

She would need probiotics too. Sugar-free Greek yogurt is one of the highest and buttermilk is good too. They make powdered probiotics for putting in water. Hydro Hen, and Save-A-Chick are two brands I've used as well as raw ACV (apple cider vinegar) with the Mother, 1 tablespoon per gallon. With that, make sure she's got another water source and only every other day of it.

You mentioned tender belly which is not a symptom of vent gleet and could be something else. Like I mentioned, a picture would help!
Thanks for the welcome!

I don't smell anything strange in the vent area, just a faint smell of chicken poo. I don't think she can stand up today though, she didn't try to escape the sink.

These aren't great pictures of her vent, I'll get a better one when she's dry.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    430.9 KB · Views: 10
That's probably not vent gleet then, but I'd still do the probiotics as that'd help her gut flora and may help the diarrhea.

Has she laid any eggs today or since this started? The Tums is good calcium but do you have any calcium tablets as it's recommended around 600 mg per day for a hen having reproductive issues.

Her tender belly you mentioned, is it soft and squishy feeling like there's water in there?

No eggs so far. It's possible that the diarrhea has disappeared, her poo seems mostly white and chunky now though. Hard to tell since she's been scooting around in it.

Any particular type of calcium?

Back
Top Bottom