Taj Mahal - First and last coup

rayrose

Songster
Apr 17, 2020
Columbia, SC
My Coop
My Coop
I'm new to chickens and after much study, decided to build my own coop and covered run.
I basically copied the design of the coop built by Pete on Youtube. The coop is 8x8, 7ft. tall
on the front and 6 ft. tall at the back, 5 attached nest boxes that are 18" high at the front tapering
to 15" at the back and 16" wide with the bottoms covered in astro turf. It has a built in roosting
box that has 3, 4ft. long roosts setting on top of 4x5 sand box into which the poop lands, so that
I can scoop it out with a kitty litter scoop. It has 4 jaloosed windows that I can roll in and out and
will keep out the rain. I keep them fully opened and the coop stays totally dry. There is also ventilation
at the front and back eaves. The coop is raised 2' off the ground and has a linoleum floor. Every opening
is covered in 1/2" hardware cloth, as is the entire 28 x 18 run, which is covered in galvanized steel roofing
that is painted white on both sides. It makes the entire run very shady and cool. I also built the same roosting
box (minus the sand box) in the run, which also has many individual roosts and play toys built with leftover
scrap lumber. Beneath the coop is an 8x8 screened area that I can close off, when necessary. The girls
use it as their dust bath area. They love the run, it's like their play ground.

Attachments

• Coop & Run 001.jpg
    Coop & Run 001.jpg
    861.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Coop & Run 003.jpg
    Coop & Run 003.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 108
  • Coop & Run 005.jpg
    Coop & Run 005.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Coop & Run 006.jpg
    Coop & Run 006.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Coop & Run 007.jpg
    Coop & Run 007.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Coop & Run 009.jpg
    Coop & Run 009.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Coop & Run 010.jpg
    Coop & Run 010.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Coop & Run 008.jpg
    Coop & Run 008.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Coop & Run 013.jpg
    Coop & Run 013.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Coop & Run 015.jpg
    Coop & Run 015.jpg
    780.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Coop & Run 016.jpg
    Coop & Run 016.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 96
  • Coop & Run 024.jpg
    Coop & Run 024.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Coop & Run 025.jpg
    Coop & Run 025.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Coop & Run 028.jpg
    Coop & Run 028.jpg
    768.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Coop & Run 030.jpg
    Coop & Run 030.jpg
    809 KB · Views: 96
I'm new to chickens and after much study, decided to build my own coop and covered run.
I basically copied the design of the coop built by Pete on Youtube. The coop is 8x8, 7ft. tall
on the front and 6 ft. tall at the back, 5 attached nest boxes that are 18" high at the front tapering
to 15" at the back and 16" wide with the bottoms covered in astro turf. It has a built in roosting
box that has 3, 4ft. long roosts setting on top of 4x5 sand box into which the poop lands, so that
I can scoop it out with a kitty litter scoop. It has 4 jaloosed windows that I can roll in and out and
will keep out the rain. I keep them fully opened and the coop stays totally dry. There is also ventilation
at the front and back eaves. The coop is raised 2' off the ground and has a linoleum floor. Every opening
is covered in 1/2" hardware cloth, as is the entire 28 x 18 run, which is covered in galvanized steel roofing
that is painted white on both sides. It makes the entire run very shady and cool. I also built the same roosting
box (minus the sand box) in the run, which also has many individual roosts and play toys built with leftover
scrap lumber. Beneath the coop is an 8x8 screened area that I can close off, when necessary. The girls
use it as their dust bath area. They love the run, it's like their play ground.
She-it! That is a dang nice coop and run! Good job!

It has 4 jaloosed windows
Where'd you find those!?
I'm having flashbacks. :gig
Didn't think they made them anymore.

Fantastic run!

Welcome to BYC! @rayrose
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1593205933880.png

How do you put it there?
Directions in the post above....can you not see the pic I posted with the 4 steps to take?

@aart
you seem to be the resident "hall monitor"? Making sure everyone has their location!
Good on you Ma'am!
Uh-huh...I get razzed about it, but how can folks offer advice is they don't know if you're in Alaska or Florida or Arizona?
So where's yours? ;)

Back
Top Bottom