1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Taj Mahal of Chicken Coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JimWWhite, Nov 13, 2009.

1. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, maybe not the Taj Mahal but it's finally done and the hens are a bunch of happy gals!!!

I'd built the coop early last spring and attached it to a 8x16' run with tarps giving it cover. Worked great until it rained and the whole thing became a muddy mess. I added sand and that helped but it just wasn't going to stand up to the winter rains. We got this used carport from a friend who was about to trash it and I reassembled it in my backyard and put the coop inside of it after enclosing it with chicken wire and making a gate. I also layed down two inches of crush 'n run and then another three inches of creek sand. This past week we've experienced the full force of TS Ida and got a lot of rain here, but the gals were high and dry.

There are a couple of cedar 'knees' or stumps I found out in the woods behind the property. I cleaned them up and put them in the run. The gals love to sit up high and watch the house so they can start complaining they never get fed whenever we come out. You can also see my yard chairs over to the left. That's where we sit and watch 'Chicken TV' almost every evening at dusk. That's what my nine-year old granddaughter calls it.

Jim

[​IMG]

2. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    the ozarks
    That's really awsome. I want one.

3. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Fine looking carport coop conversion you have there.. [​IMG] Will surely stay drier than mine...

4. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    That is great. I would love to get an old carport and do that.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Very nice! [​IMG]

6. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    hey, that's a great idea! bet it will come in handy with the summer heat, too.

I know what you mean about "chicken tv" - sure is entertaining. Not to mention good for the soul too - I have a brother in law who owns a small business - times are tough and he is so stressed. he's been coming up to our place supposedly to visit, but what he really does is go out to the chicken yard and sit with the chickens - think it is kind of a stress release for him.

I like the added stumps, too. More entertainment for the chooks.

7. BayMinetteChickenMom

BayMinetteChickenMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Oh, wow. That is one great set up.

8. adkchickmama

adkchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Adirondacks
    That is an awesome job of protecting your hens and recycling something that would have ended up in the landfill. Nice layout and beautiful coop. Your girls look very happy .

We too watch "chicken tv" very relaxing![​IMG]

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    That looks awesome - and what luck to get it for free! It looks like it is open from the top of the wire on the run to the peak of the carport? I don't know what predators you have around there but my sister has had foxes climb her run fence to get in and others have said raccoons will climb a fence too. Is that a concern in NC?

10. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    sweet!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by