Take a guess please....

OK, I think we need to know, how long have YOU had this chicken? And, what did it look like when you got it? (Downy puff, just wings, mostly feathered except for ___, fully feathered).

Here's my confusion about the age -- I have never had a juvenile in heavy molt at 16 weeks. Normally, they're done by then or just finishing up flight feathers and tails and the development of the pullet comb comes after that. Developing a comb while molting is more a masculine thing and still would be expected younger than 16 weeks.

image.jpeg
Lets see your pretty silkie crosses!!!

OK, I think we need to know, how long have YOU had this chicken? And, what did it look like when you got it? (Downy puff, just wings, mostly feathered except for ___, fully feathered).

Here's my confusion about the age -- I have never had a juvenile in heavy molt at 16 weeks. Normally, they're done by then or just finishing up flight feathers and tails and the development of the pullet comb comes after that. Developing a comb while molting is more a masculine thing and still would be expected younger than 16 weeks.
I got the thing in May, They said 8 weeks old at the time. The molty stuff looks like its at the back of its back, by the tail and around the sides of the tail. Here is a photos of when I got it back in May. First pic is in June, Id had it almost a month at the time. Next 2 are in May.
chic0.jpg
chic8.jpg
chic5.jpg

Looks mostly feathered except the head and legs in May. I know they told you 8 weeks but it could be as young as 4 weeks in that photo. It still had baby gray eyes and some peeks of down on the back in the June pic which is more what an 8-weeker would look like.

I know this is an old thread but this bird looks exactly like my langshans. They have much puffier tails and stand straighter than my other breeds. I think pullet but by now she would have already laid and probably been done laying right?

Attachments

• 2BCABA6E-BAC2-4D8E-948A-1013D03C4653.jpeg
    2BCABA6E-BAC2-4D8E-948A-1013D03C4653.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 5B67154C-8C10-45C0-876E-702D96FAA0C0.jpeg
    5B67154C-8C10-45C0-876E-702D96FAA0C0.jpeg
    625.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom