Take out of egg carton or not? And a question re: blue chicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be pleased with 50% because I really dont think I will get it all right and beable to do a good job the first time. Mainly, I dont want to be disapointed if I am expecting to get 30 and I only get 10 or 20. :)

warmfuzzies

Good luck on your hatch!
smile.png

I also for several years get very good hatches with them in cartons.
Does not change a thing, with cartons inside the bators, with temps or hum..
Like under Mama hen, the eggs don't get booted around by 'would be soccer players'.
Nor the 'baker to be' trying to bake an upside down cake with the pipping chicks inside.

Besides, I can always get a few more eggs in that way.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Egg cartons are completely unnecessary in a hatcher. Take them out. If your eggs don't hatch, I can assure you that it wasn't because you neglected to keep them in an egg carton.

I am firmly of the opinion that introducing unnecessary materials into a hatcher simply gives one more thing that can go wrong.

Eggs don't need cartons, except for transport, even if a few people on BYC think they are a benefit.

Everyone should do whatever works for them. I do not hatch in cartons, but many do it very successfully so let's cut each other some slack here. Good luck, everyone.

Quote:
If this is the case, then adding the cartons helped to correct some minor problem you were having, probably humidity related.

Fix the problem and your hatch rates will remain high without the cartons. They are giving you a false sense of security.

If this were not true, people wouldn't regularly get 95 to 100% hatches without cartons, and authoritative sources would recommend using them.

As for finding your own way .... well yes, up to a point. But the egg doesn't care who is hatching it. It only cares that the correct conditions are met. How you do this varies from place to place, esp. when considering ambient RH, altitude, etc.

People get attached to their preferred method, and that's fine. I am still waiting for a *carton advocate* to provide something other than their anecdotes as to why using cartons in hatchers is beneficial.

I've always gotten good hatches from my own eggs. I don't know what else you want me to relate other than my own experiances with it...if you consider them "my anecdotes" then so be it.

I don't know why it bugs you so much that some of us prefer to hatch in cartons. When someone comes on with a question about it I'll continue to relate my personal experiances with it. Sorry that it irritates you so badly.

It irritates me because it is a myth, unproven, and bad practise that is suggested to newbies as gospel. That is why it irritates me.

Y'all know so much more than the experts, none of whom use this method, or recommend it.

Before you, or anyone else, suggests that people do things like this, you should be able to provide substantive evidence that it works.

So far no one has.

Quote:
Gotcha
smile.png

No one gets it all right, all the time. I wish you well and I do know that if you take care to consider what goes right, and what doesn't, then hatch rates will only ever go up
smile.png

Quote:
Thankfully, none of us get paid to reply here with ADVISE and OPINIONS so we can freely give them IN OUR EXPERIENCE when someone asks for input.

I don't see anyone claiming to know more thn experts, simply sharing what has worked *for themselves*.

Last edited:
Quote:
Egg cartons are completely unnecessary in a hatcher. Take them out. If your eggs don't hatch, I can assure you that it wasn't because you neglected to keep them in an egg carton.

I am firmly of the opinion that introducing unnecessary materials into a hatcher simply gives one more thing that can go wrong.

Eggs don't need cartons, except for transport, even if a few people on BYC think they are a benefit.

Everyone should do whatever works for them. I do not hatch in cartons, but many do it very successfully so let's cut each other some slack here. Good luck, everyone.

Cyn, if you were to use cartons I would have no problem with it. You know what you are doing, and you know what to do if things go wrong.

My issue with cartons has never been that people use them. It has always been that people recommend using them to folk who don't even yet understand the basics.

As for folk saying that their hatch rates improved when they started using cartons ... well so be it, but this is not a causal relationship. It is quite likely that those people are simply now more experienced, and are doing the basics better.

The other possibility is that they were doing something wrong, and the carton helped to correct it.

Departing from recommended methods is fine, but it is something not to be undertaken lightly, and should be recommended only when people are getting excellent results using tried and trusted methods.

Of course, then they might not feel the need
smile.png

Quote:
Thankfully, none of us get paid to reply here with ADVISE and OPINIONS so we can freely give them IN OUR EXPERIENCE when someone asks for input.

I don't see anyone claiming to know more thn experts, simply sharing what has worked *for themselves*.

My point is that none of the experts recommends this method. It is a case of people here recommending that manufacturer's advice is ignored based on what?

I'm not sure what getting paid has to do with anything.

Not getting paid means it's okay to tell your experience and advice.
wink.png

I've never personally (intentionally) hatched in cartons, but I truly don't see the need for such anger/attitude for people sharing what has worked for them. That's what this forum is about.
hu.gif

(I've hatched for about 3 years now. My hatch rates vary and have ranged from 0% to 100%, dependant on SO many variables (incubator, where the eggs came from, etc., etc. and it's not an exact science. I could have it exactly the same humidity and temp wise in the exact same `bator with 100% hatch, do it again a few weeks later and drop to 50%. So much can change that.) I have no problem helping people out if they have questions, but I think people on here know that most people that reply are just another hobbyist as they themselves are.)

Last edited:
Good luck with your hatch, regardless of how you decide to do it. Trial and error is the best advise I can give ya'. You'll get better hatch rates as you become more involved, as with all things in life. Good luck again.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom