Taking a Poll: how many weeks until your EE/OEs started laying?

How many weeks to lay for your EE/OEs?

• <20 weeks

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 20-24 weeks

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • 25-28 weeks

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • 29-32 weeks

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • >32 weeks

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
I have an Ameraucana from Sandhill Preservation that never laid anything but X-large and jumbos and a reliable layer that started at about 24 weeks.
She hatched early October '09 so she was about 3 years old when she got chewed up by a stray beagle in early November. She quit laying till 2 weeks ago and has laid an egg every day but 2 for those weeks. She has gone broody a couple times and raised chicks for me so I really like her. Probably keep her around a while.

Are there windows in your coop where they get some daylight exposure? As the days get longer they might gear up. You could add a light bulb and add light for a week or so on a timer. Start earlier in the morning 5AM then have it go off at sunrise, and then just let them go to roost as the sunsets. If they are in a moult or ill, mites or lice they may not lay either. Stressful conditions will keep them from laying. Is their space adequate? 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq feet per bird in the run?

It's weird what will make them hold out. We had friends move their birds on as "spent hens" to another place and I'm sure these birds were well taken care of and spoiled in the back of their home in a city backyard. But they were moved to a spot with alot more open space in the country for their retirement and it turned out they weren't entirely spent. They all started laying again. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom