1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Taking a Poll: how many weeks until your EE/OEs started laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beanmcnulty, Oct 3, 2012.

1. <20 weeks

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. 20-24 weeks

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. 25-28 weeks

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. 29-32 weeks

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. >32 weeks

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    OK so I have raised my first EEs (and OEs) from chicks to pullets, and they are currently 26 weeks old, still nary an egg in sight. I have been reading how they can be slow maturing, so just how slow has been other's experiences? Thanks[​IMG]

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I have one that started at 20 weeks on the nose and the other is now at almost 24 weeks and nada... She's my last layer I'm waiting on. I have a mixed flock. 2 EEs. Buff Orpy, Australorp, RIR, SLW. All are laying but that one Egger...."Come on Violet!" I read as a matter fact some posts last night about EEs and their maturity rate...one lady put that hers didn't start until 37 weeks!

3. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    This year I've hatched a couple of EE and 4 OE (I'm assuming this means Olive-Eggers). All of them waited until about the 23-24 week mark to lay. Of course the anticipation of the green and olive eggs made the wait seem that much longer!

4. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I will have to wait 20-24 weeks. I just got my adorable babies yesterday!

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I have 4 this go around and 1 laid by 18 1/2 weeks & all started by 22 at the latest.

6. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I have three EE's and they were the last in my flock of 10 to lay. They all started between 29-32 weeks. But their eggs are the best: almost 60% dark orange yolk, so we save those for sunny side ups!

7. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I have an 18 week and 24 week old and neither has started laying yet. I was curious about this myself.

8. Mine were advertised as Americaunas but I think they are also known as Easter Eggers, Been getting bluish green eggs every other day this week -finally. I have 4 of them but only one is laying because she is the only one that hangs aaround the coop waiting to get in. They are just now 25 weeks.

9. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Mine is 23 weeks 4 days and still no egg. Though I am very curious as to what your results show. I am happy just waiting and watching her.

10. They are my favorites. They are so pretty with such unusual colors. They act more wildish and are the lowest in the pecking order but they are also the most independant. They are not likely to be curious enough to come up to you regularly but the eggs are lovely and I havent used one yet because I might give them to a little girl down the street. lol I heard that were late bloomers on some other blogs and sights. No worries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by