Taking a QUAIL on a road trip/vacation...?

allygibbs73

Chirping
May 8, 2018
Ok so... I have a 3 day old quail named Cricket. I am going to a cabin in the mountains in a month. I am bringing my dog so I'm not getting a pet sitter. This quail has been raised alone, and I'm his "mama bird". I feel it would damage our bond to leave him for a week. He will be about 4-5 weeks old when I leave he'd just be coming off the heat lamp. Has anyone every traveled with quail? What are some ideas for a cage for the car? Any tips/advice would be very helpful! Thank you!
IMG-4697.JPG

Ok so... I have a 3 day old quail named Cricket. I am going to a cabin in the mountains in a month. I am bringing my dog so I'm not getting a pet sitter. This quail has been raised alone, and I'm his "mama bird". I feel it would damage our bond to leave him for a week. He will be about 4-5 weeks old when I leave he'd just be coming off the heat lamp. Has anyone every traveled with quail? What are some ideas for a cage for the car? Any tips/advice would be very helpful! Thank you!
View attachment 1419777
Sure, bring him along. I usually use a cat carrier with straw and make the bird sleep the whole way with a towel thrown over. Just make sure there's airholes.

My birds are usually ready to be off the heat lamp by the third week, once they have feathers all over and only a tiny bit of fluff remaining around the face. I agree with the other posters that if it's a single bird hand raised, you should probably bring it with you. My boy quail usually start crowing in week 5, so you might have a noisy trip.

My birds are usually ready to be off the heat lamp by the third week, once they have feathers all over and only a tiny bit of fluff remaining around the face. I agree with the other posters that if it's a single bird hand raised, you should probably bring it with you. My boy quail usually start crowing in week 5, so you might have a noisy trip.

Oh ok hopefully he'll come off easily since it's so warm. Oh boy I didn't think about crowing! I don't mind tho. Maybe it'll be a female!

Back
Top Bottom