taking chicks from moms to do or not to do?

magentamomma

Songster
10 Years
Oct 26, 2009
Fayetteville
For varioius reasons I am considering taking babies from their moms. Is this cruel or inadvisable? They are still mostly fluff, but the nights are upper 60's and 70's so do they need a lamp?

What are your reasons? I always let the moms raise or foster the babies ... it's so much easier!!
smile.png

They will still need a heat lamp.

Last edited:
If you don't have to, I wouldn't. Mama can teach them alot about surviving in the chickens world, lots more than us humans can.
If you do take them, they will need a heat source at the appropriate temp. per their age.

the mother hen will do her best,
to keep the chickies in the nest,
all warm and safe, and if you choose,
to take the babies, you could lose,
the mama's trust, and make the peeps
into brooder babies, I think it keeps
them much less happy, and it isn't right,
to spend your money on a heat light.

I have 10 week olds from the hatchery that are still trying to figure out what to do with a worm, and 2 week olds with their momma that has shown them what a worm is for. I know the others will figure it out and eat the worms with much gusto. however why not let momma teach them, it is so much fun to watch!
big_smile.png

I have 3 babies with a broody and 11 in a brooder they were all born the same time and the babies with Mama are much further along and have fun with her - I had kept her and the babies separate from the rest of the flock till they were 4 weeks. old last night they slept in the coop with Mom in a dog crate - tonight I went to lock up and she had them in the coop in one of the nest boxes all cozy - I would leave them - just make sure she can keep them safe from the others and predators - she will keep them warm . No electricity cost

LEAVE those babies with their Mama!
big_smile.png
That Mama hen can outdo an old heat lamp any day of the week! I had babies hatch out the end of Feb. and I did bring them into my garage (with their Mama) and put them all in a rubbermaid tote with some shavings. NO HEAT lamp required!(LOL) Mama hen knew how to keep everyone warm and toasty...and also kept that tote clean as a whistle! I would take her out twice a day to "potty"..which she would promptly do and then want right back to those babies!
big_smile.png
Once March hit...I started stopped bringing them into the garage. From then on all Mamas & babies done PERFECTLY fine outside! I think you'll be missing out on something really special...getting to see that Sweet Mama hen raise those babies! Just precious!
smile.png

I got to see the meanest, most evil hen in Alabama turn into a clucking, baby lovin fool. She has never laid an egg of her own as long as I've had her. But she was always beating up the others trying to take theirs. And would have gladly pecked my eyes out given a chance. So I gave her one to hatch on her own. She's the sweetest thing now. Running around making those mama noises, teaching "her" baby how to scratch up a meal. That little chick never leaves her for an instant & watches ever little move she makes, always right at the end of her beak, looking at what her mama has found for her to eat. It's so sweet it's almost sickening.
hugs.gif

I agree with the other posters. I have 14 chicks being raised by three hens right now, and all of them are just as sweet and tame with humans as the batch we artificially brooded ourselves last spring. Hen raised chicks can be just as tame as ones you brood yourself.

Reasons:
A king snake has eaten 5, so I have to keep them penned at night at least.
When i let them out with their mom in the day the other chickens kill them
When I keep them penned up all day and night one of the moms acts super nutso, pacing, jumping at the door.

I left them with their moms, but it is stressful. They are so small they can slip out of the pen and they do, so I cannot let them out but I feel bad for the moms. I had 4 hatches so far this summer and 2 more are setting on nest. out of the 21 live babies 7 have met untimely unfortunate ends,all due to moms or predators. (i had one cochin crush a baby, so I gave her an abandoned older batch and she is still super happy). I like letting the moms do the raising, but one of them just seems kinda bad at it.

Back
Top Bottom