Taking heat off of a chick

the3quail

Songster
Oct 6, 2020
Gilbert, AZ
My Coop
My Coop
Hi All! So, I have a serama silkie mix, and she is three weeks old. this is her:
325D9F03-B207-43DF-9FA6-FD7DD849E007 (1).jpeg
But her "sisters" we bought as a friend are only maybe turning 2 weeks old. Anyway, I'm assuming she will have to be taken off heat earlier and put outside earlier. I am trying to buy a friend for her that I older and already lives outside. The breeder I got him/her from says she can be taken off heat next week. but should I? I wouldn't have anywhere to put her where she won't be by herself unless I bought her the friend once she's off heat. but her friends will still be on heat for another week or 2 by then. Is it worth it to buy a friend for her? We haven't ever introduced new chickens into a flock with only 1 chicken. I already have her friend picked out if I do. she's a red bantam cochin.

Haha look at that little monkey up on the edge. Yeah that's going to get crowded, time to find a watermelon box! Tho you can get away with that size for a long time if you have a bigger space to let them out in during the day, tho that depends on the temperature outside.

i agree .. if you can pen off an area in the coop or run during the day, at 3 weeks or so they can probably go outside during the day if its not freezing, then bring them in to sleep in the box at night, let them get a drink and alittle quick bite to eat, cover with a towel and put them night night and indoors, i dont think you'll need any heat after 3 weeks, just put a towel over it so they go to sleep .. in the morning take them back out to the pen IF its not really cold or windy .. thats how i do it for the 'transitional' period .. gets the other birds used to them ..

We put them outside, and made them a tiny outside pen. she love it. trying to find bugs in the grass and foraging! our hen is scared of them! maybe she feels out-numbered..

Yeah, just keep an eye on them. 60s is a bit chilly but as long as they have shelter from any wind and come inside before dark they should be ok, and it'll encourage their feathers to come in quicker.

Back
Top Bottom