Taking incubator on vacation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beegirl4, Jan 6, 2015.

1. beegirl4

beegirl4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    So weird- I know. We are going skiing about two hours away ( for 2 days) and I have eggs that are supposed to hatch the day we get back. POOR planning, but since my roo was killed by a fox, I needed to act fast and I was waiting for one of my chickens to start laying again. Anyway, my incubator is the DIY kind, and I turn the eggs by hand. They will be in lockdown at that point, so I technically don't need to do anything (but keep an eye on temps and humidity). Has anyone taken the incubator with them while away? I'm pretty sure I can keep the temp steady in the car, but who really knows? Am I being stupid?

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I would have to take mine if they were going to hatch while I was gone. We don't want to miss all the excitement. Good luck.

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Moving eggs like that during incubation is not a good idea. They need to be stable and not jiggled and shaken about in a car. Since they will be in lockdown for the duration of your trip, I personally think you should just make sure there is PLENTY of water in there to keep the humidity up for that length of time and just leave them be. Has your temp/humidity been pretty constant for you during incubation? Are you worried it will get out of whack without you there to check it? If you're worried, could you possibly ask a neighbor to come check on it a few times while you're gone? Otherwise, I think bringing them with you is more of a risk to the hatchlings. The reason you don't turn eggs while in lockdown is because they are busy getting into hatch position in there and constantly being moved will mess that process up.

Just my two cents. :)

2 people like this.
  4. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Leave the incubator at home. You will create far more risks my moving it. The chicks don't need your presence to hatch. You are scheduled to return on hatch day and even if you get delayed for a day of two they can live for several days after hatching without food or water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by