Taking Suggestions on New Ducklings

JaciBlue

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 31, 2011
New Orleans
Hi

I have a 7 week old Crested White named Ruthie. Wanting to get her some playmates. I've lost 3 ducklings in the shipping process and don't want to go thru that again. Looking at local breeders but can't find any that have Crested Whites. Taking suggestions on what breeds would be a good fit for my little angle...

94184_photo_6.jpg

IMO...anything that is relatively close to her size...I have several breeds together and all is well so far. I have Pekins,Anconas,Runners,Cayugas and Mallards currently together.
I absolutely LOVE the Anconas....they are so individualistic in looks you can easily tell them apart. Nice ducks...

Quote:
What a pretty girl! I hope you're able to find her some friends
smile.png

Hatchery orders from McMurray, Sand Hill, and Holderread are always super. I've never had any issues with them, but they all have a 10 or 15 minimum order (for good reason). I don't know anyone in your area with ducks but you might try craigslist, I see lot's of poultry there in my area.

One note... if you're planning to breed Ruthie please avoid breeding her to another crested as the gene is already pretty lethal in a non-crested pairing, crested to crested can have extremely disappointing results.

Genetic's on crested ducks here: http://www.faithvalleywaterfowl.com/crested_call_genetics.html

Ok I'm still trying to figure this out... So I don't know how to individually respond...

@NYRIR I just looked up Anconas. They look awesome. Thanks for the tip I'm going to look into them more.

@FarmrGirl I have heard that about breeding. I'm not planning on breeding her. Maybe someday I get into that but for now I'm just enjoying her company.

@lovesgliders thank you. I think she's pretty special. I love the part in her hair

@Welsh H. lover ♥ I got her from purleypoultry.com The Ruthie and her sister Maude came in great shape. Maude died five days later. Not sure why... they were following me thru the yard and she fell over. I ordered two more so Ruthie could have a friend. The other two died within 24hours I think dehydration. I'm not blaming the farmer, I think it was more the New Orleans postal system. I called and called to pick them up at the central station like I did with Ruthie and Maude, they delivered them to my house late afternoon. New Orleans hot summer day all long in the back of a post truck... can't be good.

Here's a photo of the Ruthie and Maude together... so cute

94184_222824_10150250025125056_652840055_9200945_3989483_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom