Tales of Azula the wonder chick, and her sister Ty Lee!

Since the vet says Azula is underweight, that can be fixed. And, he/she is being treated for the respiratory infection, so maybe Azula just isn’t eating a lot due to feeling under the weather. Continuing the medication and giving more protein for weight is going to get Azula well again. It really isn’t uncommon to feel the keel bone in chicks. But, it sounds like Azulas keel is very prominent. Get him/her eating more, and it’ll begin to plump up around the bone again. Let me know how they’re both doing with the treatment. 🥰
Thank you! They are free fed. She's just choosing not to eat as much. I have been giving her raw egg and fresh k*lled insects for protein after learning she's underweight. I just wanted to make sure the keel is actually a way to tell and I wasn't going to make them obese

Thank you! They are free fed. She's just choosing not to eat as much. I have been giving her raw egg and fresh k*lled insects for protein after learning she's underweight. I just wanted to make sure the keel is actually a way to tell and I wasn't going to make them obese
You’re very welcome! As long as Azula’s eating enough throughout the day (it sounds like she’s eating whenever she wants), don’t worry about it. She’s eating as much as she feels like eating while she’s ill. If Azula wasn’t eating, then you should be concerned. Continue with the protein, like the vet suggested. Once the respiratory infection is cleared up, she will put the weight back on. To hopefully help you feel better… some chicks will look “skinny” as they’re going through different growth stages. They all won’t look like chunky little chickens. Did the vet happen to suggest worming them? Did he do a fecal to check for worms?

You’re very welcome! As long as Azula’s eating enough throughout the day (it sounds like she’s eating whenever she wants), don’t worry about it. She’s eating as much as she feels like eating while she’s ill. If Azula wasn’t eating, then you should be concerned. Continue with the protein, like the vet suggested. Once the respiratory infection is cleared up, she will put the weight back on. To hopefully help you feel better… some chicks will look “skinny” as they’re going through different growth stages. They all won’t look like chunky little chickens. Did the vet happen to suggest worming them? Did he do a fecal to check for worms?
Nope and no unfortunately. I do think it's because she is ill and having her first moult right now. Both of those must be putting a strain on her little body. I haven't seen anything in their feces though. But I know it's not always visible

The sneezing has stopped! Azula has gained seven ounces already as well! I mixed 50/50 medicated chick feed to flock raiser and added a couple handfuls of dried mealworms

The sneezing has stopped! Azula has gained seven ounces already as well! I mixed 50/50 medicated chick feed to flock raiser and added a couple handfuls of dried mealworms
So happy to hear that Azula is getting well! Yay! 🥰 I hope Ty Lee is feeling better too.

So happy to hear that Azula is getting well! Yay! 🥰 I hope Ty Lee is feeling better too.
They are both doing so much better and finished their antibiotics! Azula is still light though. But we're working on it

They are both doing so much better and finished their antibiotics! Azula is still light though. But we're working on it
Thank you for the update on Azula and Ty Lee! I’m very glad to know they are better. You’re doing a terrific job with their care, as always. I look forward to hearing more good updates and seeing them, as they grow. 🥰

Azula has been putting on weight and Ty Lee is doing great! They spent their first night outside in the coop tonight! I'm making it their home for when the weather is nice
I can't believe they are two months old now!

They started panting from the heat even with a fan on so they are back inside
It can be rough when it’s super hot outside. The fan is a good idea. I have them in all of my buildings… one pulling air inside and one pulling air out another window. Creates a nice breeze. Frozen water jugs for them to lay near is an idea. Electrolytes in a waterer for the really hot days can help too. Frozen fruits to peck at. Plenty of shade. Ice in the water. There’s lots of things you can provide to help Azula and Ty Lee stay cool. Other members have great ideas as well. I’m glad they’re both healthy again. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom