Talk parents into getting a horse?

farm girl

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 6, 2012
In the USA
How do i talk my dad into getting a horse? mom is ok with it, just not dad! I have been riding for 4 years, and i really know how to take care of a horse! i would keep it at my Granny's, with the other two horses there. Dad says its the money and i know there's more! but i don't know what to do. There's this perfect horse and this girl has to get rid of it before 2 weeks from know cuz shes going to collage. It is perfect for me! Best offer I'd every had on a horse!

Horses are cheap, but their care is expensive. Why don't you spend some time pricing feed, medical care and the cost of boarding. Just because your grandmother has space doesn't mean you should assume you can use it for free.

You need to think of the price for feed, visits to the vet, and visits to the farrier yearly. If your parents allow you to get the horse, they need to know you are responsible enough to take care of it and can at least pay for some of the bills that your horse creates. And of course, there's also the buying of the saddles, and all of that type of equipment.

This one brings a smile to my face because I can picture this coming from my own daughter in a couple of years :)

But yeah the ongoing cost is just way out of the average families reach. So she will be getting a no too.

My advice would be sit down with your dad and have a grown up conversation about his misgivings. By grown up I mean if he has valid reasons for saying no you have to be mature enough to accept them and just put the idea on hold till you can fund it yourself. Perhaps if you can show maturity this time and circumstances change he might be more open to the idea next time.

As the owner of 10 horses , I can tell you they are expensive creatures , but that being said they have taught my children the art of responsibility , love and respect. Have you thought of volunteering as a groom at your local riding school? At least you would get your horsey fix. Rider for disabled are always looking for helpers. Perhaps if your dad could see your commitment , he may have a change of heart
2764.png

Horses are amazing!!!! My daughter & I work sooo hard to keep ours! It teaches my kids a level of responsibility, love, & compassion. With that being said horse ownership cannot be entered lightly. Purchasing the horse is the easy part. Shoes alone can cost close to $300. Every six weeks or so. If your lucky to have a bare foot horse it will be less but you need to be prepared for other feet expenses. Lameness, absesses, etc.... - Grain is expensive! We spend about $130. On grain a month & that's not counting his supplements. Teeth, horses need them done at least once a year. & that is only if they don't have any dental issues which would be added expenses. Vet bills alone, especially if your boarding will bring you to poverty levels. We pay at least 250. A pop, 2x a year, just for shots. Praying that he doesn't actually get sick. Just for a vet to come out to the barn is a $90. Fee. Gear...theses guys need everything & Nothing is cheap! Fly mask, fly sheets, turn out sheets, medium & heavy weighted blankets. Ooh & they will most likely destroy this stuff so it will need to be replaced often.

I seriously could go on forever.... I guess my point is I understand your passion, but I understand your parents. I would recommend maybe leasing first. I'm barn...
So you have others experience to back you up. Show your parents you can do it & work your way up to owning!

Granny's got two other horses there? Why not use one of theirs for a while before you can get your own or until your parents can approve the ownership.

Leasing would be another option but some owners would like to have insurance (like homeowners's insurance) in case something got hurt and the horse had to be put to sleep or dies.

It is expensive nowadays to have horses. I could not afford one today at today's prices even I do a lot of my DIY care and horse trimmings myself but its the vet care and other unexpenses that would just make my head explode. Hay prices and grain is so high right now. I used to have a herd of miniatures and Paso Finos. Had to sell them all before the horse market crashed.

I have been riding for years and years and have two of my own.

The most expensive parts of horse ownership are A, the cost of the horse itself. B, vet bills. C, farrier service. D, feed. I would inquire if the horse has any medical conditions or if it needs medication, as that can add up to a few hundred every month, if not then good! Farrier services can range from a variety of prices depending on what the horse needs. Horses without shoes are cheaper, shoes are a couple hundred for me at least. Also find what type of feed he or she is on and look up the price.
I have found that the more prepared, and ready for expenses, my parents were willing when I laid it out for them. Having a horse builds character and responsibility along with great workouts. Manure can also be a great fertilizer or compost use.
I would just plan all the financial costs for the first few months, show your parents, show them the pros of owning one, and hopefully you'll work it out!

I'll just echo what the others have said. Do your grandparents want the responsibility of yet another horse? Do you live close enough to them to get there frequently to care for your horse and help out around the place? FEED is incredibly expensive. Right now I have 6 horses on my property. Every day they consume 7 scoops of feed. One bag of feed has 18 scoops in it. Do the math - it adds up fast. These horses also free range on about 25 acres, and they get a round bale ($85 -$125 per bale) every 10 days or so, and that is only because we do have some green stuff growing that they can eat. When that's gone, then the round bales will be closer to 1 every 6 days.

The reality is that there are a lot of horses out there, so if you don't get this one there will be others down the road.

Back
Top Bottom