Talk to me about ducks

Don't know about quail, but we have three Pekin ducklings (4 weeks old).

We're keeping them primarily for pest control in our orchard, but we're also happy to eat any eggs they'll provide. Although they're the traditional meat duck, we have no plans to eat them.

Quote:
Both are raised for eggs and meat. Some duck feathers are also used for flying fishing ties. Silver Appleyard ducks are considered "triple purpose" ducks because of this.

Quote:
Ducks really need a source of water for bathing, even if it's just a 15 gallon tank. Be aware, though, the ducks at some point in their life will escape and find the pond. They are not any more destructive than other animals, but if the plants are truly precious I don't see ducks being a good fit for you.

Why do I have ducks? Because I can!
big_smile.png
Mine are purely pets. We have so much fun watching them in their pool. You can't help but feel good seeing the joy a duck gets out of splashing in the water. Almost makes up for the messy brooder days. Almost.
Actually, a few nights ago my husband and I had pulled up chairs to sit and watch the ducks swimming around. After a few quiet minutes, I turned to him and said " a few years ago, did you ever think you'd be sitting in your back yard watching ducks swim in a kiddy pool for entertainment?" He laughed, but I think it actually worried him! He's a street bike riding, large game hunting, thrill seeking kind of guy. Maybe he thought his manhood was in question! But it is nice to see him talking to the chickens or petting the turkeys.
So I guess I have ducks because they make ME happy. And I guess I wasn't spending enough time cleaning up after chickens, turkeys, a zillion other pets and my family: I needed something even MESSIER!

Back
Top Bottom