Talk to me about house chickens and cats

Kimberoo

Chirping
May 23, 2023
Nebraska
I have a little 12 week old crossbeak silkie and I've been in denial that it could still be a pullet despite the large comb and black feathers extending past the tail. I'm not giving up yet 😅 but I think I should consider my options if Marianna is a... Mario?

I got Marianna when I was picking up some pullets from a woman who also had some silkies, one of which was a crossbeak. The woman was trying to find a home for the crossbeak on our local page but no one had been interested. I offered to take the crossbeak silkie and one of it's friends. The woman said if the silkie turned out male she would be willing to take it back, but I'm attached and I know Marianna will have more 1:1 care with me, since the woman has more than 300 chicks currently.

I live in a city where roosters are not allowed. My other cockerels will be rehomed, but that's tough with a special needs bird. So I'm considering the possibility of a house chicken to prevent neighbor complaints. But I also have 3 cats. Is that a reasonable option? Will people hear a rooster loudly outside my house? (I'm about 50 ft from neighbors on each side) Does anyone have experience introducing cats to house chickens successfully? What does the daily routine look like with chicken diapers? I work from home most days so I would be with them most of the time.

My house chicken has never been bothered by the cat or the smaller dog. My larger rescue dog doesn't want to harm Dottie; he just plays too rough. Consequently, she spends more time in her large dog kennel than she used to. There really wasn't much of an introduction.
She came here as a chick and neither the cat nor the first rescue dog seemed to care much about her existence.

Before the big dog joined the household, Dottie would hang out with me, the little dog and the cat, all of us on the sofa. Her presence didn't cause a ripple.

I've never used chicken diapers but I've gone through a lot of paper towels and cleaners!

As far as sound, it depends on the rooster; some are MUCH louder than others.

In any case, best wishes and kudos to you for taking (and keeping) the crossbeak baby -- whether it's Marianna or Mario!

Back
Top Bottom